<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  

Canadian Strap

September 2 2001 at 6:08 PM
No score for this post
Taniya 

The Canadian strap was not made of leather(rather a rubberized cloth belting-about 24 inches long)-nor was it separated into tails.The usual dose for boys and girls was two to eight on each hand at the front of the class.For more serious offences the strap would be applied to the bare bottom in the Principal's office by a female teacher. I would never think of complaining at home. School strappings were nothing compared to the strappings my sisters and I received at home.Would anyone share his/her experiences.I don't feel that during the 1960's that mine were unique.Certainly we girls were treated no differently than the boys.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Canadian strap

No score for this post
September 4 2001, 7:22 AM 

The Canadian school strap is indeed made of rubber. I remember once reading that a tire company manufactured them as a “service item”. It measures 16" in length, 1 ½" in width and 3/8" thick and there’s a hole on one end so it can be hung from a nail. I know this because I have one in my hand at the moment. My parents had acquired a school strap from some source unknown to me and I stole it when I was helping to move after the house was sold. My mother frequently applied it with force to my bare behind. This stung horribly and always made me cry, but it was nothing compared to the pain of the strapping I got at school on my hands.

There were 4 of us girls late for the return to class after recess so we were running in the hall and we had the bad luck to be spotted by the principal who marched us to his office, and made us hold out our hands. I was first in line and got the first smacks, one on each hand. I started to cry right away, although I was secretly relieved to have gotten away with only one on each hand. Silly me. He went down the line, smacked each hand, and then returned to me and I quickly understood that I hadn’t gotten off easy at all. When he was done, we had each gotten 5 whacks on each hand and we were all wailing as we made our way back to our classroom. My hands were bright red and swollen. It felt like another whack would surely draw blood. They kind of went from a bit numb to a phenomenally painful thawing out to a dreadful throbbing. When I got home, my mother saw that I had been in trouble at school so she put me over the couch arm, pulled down my pants and strapped my bottom 12 times. It all seemed a little excessive for running in the hall.

Five on each hand was a lot even for my school. Most strappings were 3 on each hand. Almost never, however, would it have been only one. When I see pictures and read descriptions of the kinds of straps they used in Scotland, this one seems positively vanilla, but I think they must have made up for it by hitting harder and more times. Hardly anyone except for older boys got the strap without crying. Boys were strapped more than girls, but girls got it too as I can attest.

Also, I never heard of anyone getting it on only one hand or getting an uneven number of whacks on each hand and I never heard of anyone getting it on the bottom - at least not officially. I once did see a teacher whack a boy's bottom with the strap when he was on the floor instead of in his seat. Sometimes kids would get the strap in front of the class, but usually it was in a cloakroom or in an empty classroom. The worst was to be sent to the principal's office. We were always strapped on both hands an equal number of times when I was in elementary school in the early sixties. The strap was only used in elementary school, and not in high school, at least not that I knew of.

Eve

Untitled

No score for this post
September 5 2001, 6:41 AM 

A & E in Bournemouth produce a ferula - about 11" or 12" long that is made of rubber it sounds much as our Canadian friend described - it stings like hell - worse than any leather stap - as my bare backside knos well! - If it's pain you want then this is the implement!!!

Ferula

No score for this post
September 5 2001, 2:15 PM 

Eve, I went into their website and didn't see this listed. They say they have a catalog but they list no e-mail address. That means I'll have to write them snail mail. Can you give me any more information? Do you have an e-mail for them? How extreme have you had it with this thing? How thick is it? I know rubber can be awesome. Thanks, BB

Eve

Untitled

No score for this post
September 6 2001, 6:49 AM 

It's listed as FE 003 and is £13 - I think. Their E-Mail is joti@cwcom.net. They describe it as: The original Ferula, A E services is always associated as the original supplier of this awesome implement, not recommended for beginners , length 11"

Taniya

Untitled

No score for this post
September 5 2001, 10:35 PM 

BJ-I can assure that at the Catholic school I went to in the late 50's and early 60's it was not uncommon to be strapped on the bare bottom for an offense that was repeated and for which strapping had been given on the hands.

Canadian strap

No score for this post
September 6 2001, 7:09 AM 

I meant to add to my first post that my experience was only with Ontario protestant schools. I doubt there was a national standard as to the dimensions of the strap. As strict as my school was, we readily acknowledged that the Catholic schools were stricter and suspected that the straps would have been meaner.

This is the first I've heard of bare bottom strapping in school. I remember being really surprised in grade one when I saw some older boys being strapped on the hands. I knew about the strap and assumed it would be given on the bottom.

Were girls strapped by nuns and male teachers alike?

Taniya

Untitled

Score 5.0 (1 person)
September 7 2001, 1:26 AM 

BJ-fortunately whan girls were strapped skirt up and panties down-it was always done by a female teacher-Oddly enough there were no nuns at the St.Patrick's-You might recall that at that time Catholic schools in Ontario were publicly funded to the end of Grade 8-Taniya

John

Canadian School Strap

No score for this post
September 16 2001, 7:07 PM 

Hi!
Canada followed Scotland from what I can tell in using a strap on the hands of children as a means of discipline in the schools. The Scottish tawse was
made of leather, usually quite stiff and thick, the Canadian school strap was made of rubber belting material which was quite dense and produced a
real sting and burning because of its rubberized surface.

This type of strap is typically Canadian. It came in various colours, grey, black, green-brown, red, some had a stripe down the middle. They were quite dense, and approx. 16" long by 1 1/2" wide and about 1/4" thick.

I have seen an earlier thicker, wider and heavier model that a friend of mine has that came from a Canadian school. It would be at least 2 1/2 inches wide and it isn't quite as long. It's 5 ply belting and a good 3/8" thick. I doubt if it was intended to be used on the hands. I have seen and examined many straps that were used on the hands however. They usually were 4 ply. They were made at different times over the years. The strap was standard issue, and as far as I know it was similar throughout Canada. However, they were cut from different beltings from time to time so variations were bound to occur. (colour,length, width to a degree.)

The maximum number of strokes was never actually officially set, but a severe punishment was 5 on each hand. One grade 8 student I knew did receive 12 however. The usual was 2 to 4 strokes on each hand. Younger students (Gr.1) would usually get only 1.

The more experienced teachers had straps, as did the principal. It was rare that a teacher would give it, most female teachers were incapable of giving it with any force and it usually was a bit of a joke. The principals however, were usually male and could wield the instrument with considerable effectiveness. Most strappings were done in the office as a result. Even the toughest kids feared the instrument when given to its potential.

I have attended schools in both the UK and Canada. I received the strap several times, the worst was definitely the tawse. Four strokes on each palm from the headmaster left my hands bruised and swollen afterwards. The joints of the fingers turned white and later blue. I still had marks on my skin two weeks later, this is not an exaggeration. My hands were sore to the touch for the rest of the week. The stinging lasted for hours. It was very painful and in my opinion a brutal punishment.

The Canadian school strap did not have the same potential for damage but it was still quite effective when given properly. It could leave some bruising and soreness afterwards, however. The strap hurt considerably, but unlike the Scottish tawse, the material it was made of had a slight give/sponginess to it and therefore it could be administered full force with less chance of injury to the hand.

Principals (I can't speak for everyone, but I know they made me do this)would make the candidate remove rings and watches prior to the event. The strap was usually kept in the top desk drawer and it was a bit of a ritual as the principal would first lecture and then take out the strap. The building up prior to the punishment was very much part of the whole scenario. Most kids would already be very sorry and already crying long before any strokes were administered.

The worst part was in my opinion, afterwards when you had to return to your classroom, teary-eyed, palms throbbing and burning, knowing that everybody knew that you had "got it". It really created a dirty, shameful feeling inside that was difficult to forget quickly.

Taniya

Untitled

Score 1.0 (1 person)
September 22 2001, 5:54 PM 

John-do you have any idea how I could acquire a Canadian Strap? There must be thousands of Canadians who would like to own one-so many memories!

Canadian Strap

No score for this post
September 24 2001, 4:05 AM 

Hi Taniya,

I am not in the business of making straps, but...
I wanted to own a Canadian school strap. I tried for a long time to get one but to no avail. Nobody is willing to sell. So I went out and bought (in bulk!)the same type of vulcanized rubber material that it was originally made from. I compared it with an actual strap that a friend of mine has. There are some differences however, the material is the similar but the edges are straight cut, not rounded. The colour is orange.
The straps are 1/4 inch thick. The weight and feel is very close to the original. If you want one, I could make it for you.

Taniya

Hi John

No score for this post
September 24 2001, 10:47 PM 

Thanks for the offer-but I have my heart set on the real thing. Also my personal aesthetic suggests that a strap should be black-orange seems much too festive-though I have no doubt that it stings.Taniya

Taniya

Acquiring a Canadian strap

No score for this post
September 23 2001, 8:15 PM 

After starting this posting-and following the responses I have come to realise that I would like to own a strap. It is not illegal in Ontario schools though all School Boards have banned its use. I'm told that it is still used in some of the private religious schools-so some company must still be making and distributing the strap. Would anyone know where to direct me?-even those from the UK might be interested in owning one. Taniya

mike

Untitled

No score for this post
September 23 2001, 10:25 PM 

So what do you use on your Daughters?????????????

Taniya

Hi Mike

No score for this post
September 24 2001, 12:07 AM 

I use a strap that is essentially homemade-It is a cut down wide and fairly thick leather belt -there is something more official about a strap that has been specifically made for punishment. Taniya

Brian

Hi Taniya

No score for this post
September 24 2001, 4:57 AM 

It's me again. One of my favorite straps is a converted belt. It's one of those wide, thick cowboy belts with the plastic lacing around the edges. I took off the buckle, folded it over, soaked it in oil until it wouldn't hold any more and fastened the loose ends together. It's fairly heavy, extremely flexible and the plastic is as nasty as rubber. It may not look official but it sure feels official. I call it Old Faithful. If anyone laughs at it before she sure doesn't after she gets hit with it. Brian

Tawse

No score for this post
September 24 2001, 8:46 AM 

Hi Taniya,
Yes I agree about official thing. I have a lochgelly now but i know you can buy one here from Abby or from www.tawse.com
Does belting your daughters give you any thrill or is it all an anger thing?
Mike

Taniya

Hi Mike

No score for this post
September 24 2001, 10:41 PM 

I'm honestly not sure how to answer. My home and school punishment experience was with the strap exclusively.I certainly did not enjoy it. I began using the strap on my daughters simply to get obedience. I'm rarely angry at them-kid are kids- but punishment is sometimes simply necessary-and why not use a punishment that actually means something?Although I derive no pleasure from strapping them I have to admit to a certain excitation in the highly ritualised procedure. Taniya

Hi Taniya

No score for this post
September 25 2001, 2:05 AM 

Would you like to explain this procedure Taniya ?
Do you tell them how many strokes they will receive?
Or do you strap them until you are sure they have learnt their lesson?
Are there always tears or are they getting hardened to it?
Hope you get what you are after from those sites...email me if you want more info.
Mike.

Taniya

Hi Mike

No score for this post
September 25 2001, 9:33 PM 

Well the procedure is always the same.After the offence my daughter is sent to my bedroom-I follow-take the strap from the night table-and hand it to her with instructions to stand in the corner.After about five minutes I call her over to the bed.-She hands me the strap-bares her bottom-and bends over the bed. I always give 12 licks and the girl always cries.I then send her back to the corner-panties down for another five minutes.I then call her back to the bed-her panties back up-and we have a brief conversation about the offence and why it is important that it not be repeated-I also assure her how much I love her-we hug and then she is allowed to leave the room.-The procedure up to our conversation takes place without words.-What is there to say? The strapping itself only takes about one minute-one lick every five seconds or so. For the moment the girl has learned her lesson-but will no doubt need another reminder down the line. Mike -please tell me something about yourself and your own fascination with corporal punishment? Taiya

Hi Taniya

No score for this post
September 26 2001, 7:15 AM 

It was fascinating to listen to your procedure Taniya. If your girls always cry does that mean you give harder strokes to say the twins than your other daughters? How long does it take before they are back for more? You give the impression that these punishments are not too effective?
As for me its too long a story for here....I am 47 and went to schools here in Scotland in the early 60s. Was given the belt first when I was 6 for getting sums wrong......still can't do maths lol !!!
As for rest, some is dotted about this forum and rest would have to be an email job.
Mike.

Taniya

Hi Mike

No score for this post
September 26 2001, 10:59 PM 

Yes-the older the girl the harder the licks-As for the effectiveness of strapping-perhaps six or seven times a year-I guess I'm assuming that adolescent girls are going to get into a certain amount of trouble anyway-They do learn that the consequence for misbehaviour is consistent, painful , and embarassing. I would not use severe whipping even if I thought it would be more effective. Taniya

sean

Hi Taniya

No score for this post
September 28 2001, 1:04 PM 

Well I am sorry I dont know about the Canadian Strap,just what Abby calls the Catholic strap, this is what we used get in Ireland. I went to an all boys school and we would always have got the leather as they liked to call it on the hands. Sometimes you got one on each hand or as many as six on each hand, I know nothing about crossing hands that we hear about here we were always just told to put out our hand and sometimes your wrist was held.
Have you considered punishing your daughters on the hands as I used think it was worse when you saw the strap being raised and brought down on you.
I have enjoyed all your messages.
Regards
SEAN

Taniya

Hi Sean

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 10:36 PM 

Actually the reason that I would like to acquire a Canadian strap is so that I could punish the older girls on the hands-or at least give them a choice-they feel that at 16 they are too old for bare bottom strapping. Taniya

John

Strap

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 11:23 PM 

Taniya, rather than getting a Canadian strap, you should get a proper Scottish Lochgelly tawse. That would certainly let your daughters know you mean business!

Taniya

Hi John

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 11:55 PM 

I must say that from reading al the postings I have become interested in the tawse-but I have the impression that it is somewhat too brutal. Taniya

Graham

Untitled

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 10:43 AM 

Hi Taniya, Your desription of how you punish your daughters is quite like what I used to get. I had to fetch the tawse from the cupboard where it hung in in the kitchen, and take into the dining room and lay it on the table. Then I had to pull out a chair, bend over the back, and wait in that position until my mother or father came. They would lift back my kilt, and then give a hard tawsing on the bare. The tawse was two tailed, and a lochgelly (I know because I still have it; my wife uses it on me now!)
Even though it brought tears, I was expected to apologise for what I had done, and then to get on with whatever I had been doing. I can tell you it was not always easy to sit down and carry on with my homework. Best wishes.

Brian

Canadian Strap

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 12:41 AM 

We had a teacher at our primary school in Fife who had previously taught in Canada. For the first week or so she tried to get by without using "the strap" as it was known. (I never did hear it referred to as the tawse whilst at school, usually the belt or the strap).

It never occurred to me that use of the tawse was limited to Scotland. I imagined it would be used in all schools! Anyway, after a few days of enduring the unruly behaviour of our class, Miss F informed us that she was going to go home that night and look for her belt.

Sure enough, on Monday morning halfway through the morning we were treated to a "briefing session". As promised, she had managed to dig out her weapon over the weekend and proceeded to give us a demonstration, more as a warning than anything else. Give her her due, she didn't take advantage of the wrongdoings of any of her unsuspecting pupils for the purposes of this demonstration. Her first victim was her desk!

She produced her tawse, a rather thick looking two tailed instrument, and proceeded to give us a talk about her teaching experiences in Canada. I don't know how true this is but she informed us that, whilst in training, novice teachers would practice the art of belting miscreants using the following technique. We were all summoned out to the front of the class and asked to gather around her desk. The business end of the tawse was then placed on the desk, the outline was traced in chalk and an asterisk was drawn inside the outline. Miss F claimed that she could aim so accurately that she would be able to erase the asterisk within a few strokes whilst leaving the outline intact.

She then drew the tawse back over her shoulder and "Thwaaackk!" the first stroke hit the desk producing a cloud of chalk dust. The neatly drawn asterisk was now nothing more than a white smudge. Back over the shoulder for the second stroke and "Thwaaackk!" The asterisk was no longer recognisable. After the third stroke it had disappeared completely. However, the outline remained intact, as predicted.

Clearly the purpose of this little demonstration was to let us know how expertly she could "draw the belt" (as we called it). We were all asked to return to out seats and she continued her talk about belting practices in Canada. Apparently a favourite trick was to place a heavy book on the wrist of the offender prior to the punishment so that the impact of each stroke would reverberate up the arm causing the pain to reach the elbow and not be limited to the hand.

In spite of her best efforts to instill the fear of God into us, it was all to no avail as before the day was out four boys were lined up in front of the class for our first demonstration of how expert she was at administering punishment.

I do not recall the crime but there was some doubt as to who the guilty party was. The four boys were called out and lined up in front of the blackboard. The tawse was produced from Miss F's desk and she walked towards her first victims. We all looked on with bated breath in anticipation of the spectacle that was about to take place.

A cursory investigation took place in order to establish who the guilty party was, Miss F in control of the proceedings with her tawse hanging down by her side. Despite protestations to the contrary it was soon concluded that all four were equally guilty and would be punished. The tawse was raised over Miss F's shoulder and hung down her back.

Miss F beckoned to the nearest boy. "Right, out with your hand!" The boy produced his right hand and the first blow was struck. "Thwaaack!" The noise echoed round the classroom. The boy reeled in agony, waving his injured palm furiously, hoping to shake the pain off.

"Now the other hand" instructed Miss F, her tawse already hanging down her back in readiness for the next stroke. The boy gingerly produced the other hand and "Thwaaack!"

Two further strokes followed, alternating hands as before, then the first miscreant was directed back to his seat.

The other three boys experienced the same treatment and all eventually staggered back to their desks, forearms crossed and with their hands firmly tucked up underneath their armpits for safety. Once back in their seats, furious blowing into their palms would ensue..... .....when Miss F wasn't looking.

In the grand scheme of things two strokes on each hand was not too severe. We would be 10 or 11 at the time. It would be nice to say that this was the last time we saw Miss F administer such punishment but sadly it was just the first of many encounters. Several times a day the tawse would be produced for the correction of some wayward and, although we all lived in constant fear, we didn't question it. It was simply a way of life back then.

Oh that I could transport myself back to those times!

Current Topic - Canadian Strap
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>  
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement