Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
 Return to Index  

Old Dragon Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull

May 28 2012 at 5:35 AM
Anthony Caryl  (Login caryl576)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 82.36.100.166

I thought I'd share some images my original Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull (dragon), which has gone together better than I expected, so I've been adding tweeks to improve the accuracy and looks

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Reading the reviews/builds/threads online and looking at walk arounds the turret needed a fair amount of work to make it presentable

I was aiming for a low bustle turret with cast in cheek armour, and no pistol port. This required adding the cheek armour, reshaping the curve of the turret base round the back under the bustle, reshaping the contour round the commanders cuppola. I also filled the pistol port hole and emphasised the welds round the turret base with milliput (A lot of this was based on stuff on Mike Canadays site)

I should also have reduced the depth of the bustle, but had added the turret radio box before I knew that too was wrong so left it alone)

The length of the 17lb barrel was also reduced by about 1cm to conform to the online plans.

So far so good.

Next I replaced the outer hatch hinge blob with a proper handle (I need to do the inner one too, but haven't found a good picture yet)

I added a fake muzzle break (designed to trick the Germans into thinking it was a standard 75/76mm model), and some welded on track armour as seen on some Canadian Shermans.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: Old Dragon Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull - Anthony Caryl on May 28, 5:44 AM
    1. Re: Old Dragon Sherman Ic Firefly Hybrid Hull - Anthony Caryl on May 28, 5:56 AM
      1. Building the exact same kit... - W. Bruce Clark on May 28, 1:39 PM
        1. More details - Anthony Caryl on May 28, 2:19 PM
        2. Thanks for the feedback Bruce - Anthony Caryl on May 28, 2:35 PM

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse