Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
 Return to Index  

WIP: Tasca M4A3E8 "Army Mule"

July 1 2012 at 7:42 PM
Scott Dimmick  (Login SEDimmick)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 69.255.204.59

Army_Mule_3-1%2520%25281%2529.jpg
From 2012-07-01


My latest project, a M4A3E8 from the 6th Armored Division in Germany, 1945. This is one of two photos I'm working off of in this build. I'm using the Tasca M4A3E8 Sherman and a bare minimum of aftermarket stuff on it, so I can actually finish it!

DSC_0117.JPG
From 2012-07-01


The additional armor plate came from a Tank Work Shop set. I had to do slight modification to the frontal armor, which was to slightly trim about 2-3mm from each side to make it a better match to the photos. I used Miliput Super Fine for the welds. I still need to add the additional weld lines that are seen in the red circle in the first photo.

DSC_0119.JPG
From 2012-07-01


left hand side.

DSC_0115.JPG
From 2012-07-01


Overall shot of the turret. The casting numbers are from Archer Fine Transfers and are very nice. Applied using some Future floor wax so they don't come off the bare plastic. .60 Sheet styrene was used for the additional armor.

On the actual vehicle (and others) the armor was from other knocked out/mechanically destroyed Shermans.

DSC_0116.JPG
From 2012-07-01


Shot of the left slide armor and "luggage" rails added made from .20 brass. Miliput was used again for the welds.

DSC_0120.JPG
From 2012-07-01


Overall shot of the right hand side

Right hand side of the turret. I didn't have a shot of "Army Mule" from this side, so I had no idea how the armor was applied here. Luckily a couple days ago someone posted photos from 6th Armored Division on the Allied DG on Missing Lynx. One photo had a different tank with crew standing on this side and you could see they used a single armor plate to do the up-armoring. Good enough for me. You can also see the tiny casting numbers from the Archer set on the pistol port and turret ring guard. still need to drill out the water drain holes at the rear.

DSC_0110.JPG
From 2012-07-01


Overall shot of the model. I have the suspension sans tracks done and still need to add the rest of the armor plate on the front that protects the transmission nose.

Peter Griffin: Any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

 
 Respond to this message   
Responses

  1. Great Detail - Todd Michalak on Jul 1, 2012, 8:11 PM
  2.  
  3. Excellent work! - Mark Aldrich on Jul 1, 2012, 8:34 PM
    1. I just noticed that.... - Scott Dimmick on Jul 1, 2012, 8:36 PM
     
  4. Nice build - Scott Smith on Jul 1, 2012, 10:08 PM
  5.  
  6. looks great so far... - will thorson on Jul 2, 2012, 1:51 AM
  7.  
  8. Curious... - Paul Budzik on Jul 2, 2012, 10:16 AM
    1. Will adjust... - Scott Dimmick on Jul 2, 2012, 10:22 AM
     
  9. Lookin' Good! - Anonymous on Jul 2, 2012, 2:19 PM
  10.  


Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse