Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1/48 Pz Bde 150 Ersatz StuG IIIG "Trojan Horse"

June 10 2008 at 12:08 AM
roy chow  (Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 71.238.27.128

A fairly simple conversion of the very nice Tamiya 1/48 StuG IIIG kit. My subject is the olive drab painted Pz Bde 150 StuG IIIG intended to be in the vanguard of Skorzeny's attacks at the Battle of the Bulge's onset.

I used Hauler PE fenders and just scratchbuilt the rest myself. I upgraded the mid production StuG IIIG to one with all the later features by moving the pilzen, adding remote MG. I added weld lines and other finesse bits for added detailing. I altered the nose armor to make it sharp -- better than the dull cast metal nose of the kit. I'm using the later cleated tracks from the Pz IVJ kit. No clear pics exist of the actual engine deck covering so I just used my best guesses.

Comments and questions welcome









Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

 
 Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tim James
(Login timjames)
Missing-Lynx members
202.161.18.129

I like it....

June 10 2008, 8:35 AM 

...I have been thinking about building this vehicle for a while now, but lack of good pics and info have put it on the back burner.
Well done Roy. I think the engine deck panels look convincing and close to what can be seen in the few pics that exist of this vehicle.
Can't wait to see it in OD.
Do you have many pics of this vehicle.In the pics I've seen the muzzle brake is missing, what's your guess on that, taken off to make it look more like an Allied vehicle or taken as a trophy post battle?

Cheers
Tim

 
 Respond to this message   
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members
71.238.27.128

Thanks

June 10 2008, 8:58 AM 

Hi Tim: Thnx for the kind words. I have the "standard" pics of this vehicle too (Concord's "Panzers of the Ardennes Offensive" and "Battle of the Bulge" and Tech Intell book). From what I've been able to ascertain, I believe all the pics are of the same vehicle. Some pics show the muzzle in place -- therefore I've concluded that the muzzle was removed later. It makes sense too given that it would have been a job to reconfigure the KwK's recoil system to make up for the removed muzzle brake.

From the pics, I noted that almost all the OVM fittings were removed from the fenders -- that's why I had to replace the kit ones with the Hauler PE.

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

 
 Respond to this message   
Fernando Cuenca
(Login xplan303ex)
Missing-Lynx members
64.47.4.166

Nice work Roy

June 10 2008, 9:12 AM 

Interesting subject. I wonder how much was the performance hit due to that covered engine deck.

xPLAN303Ex: The portrait of the artist I am not.
http://xplan303ex.wordpress.com

 
 Respond to this message   
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members
71.238.27.128

Engine

June 10 2008, 9:16 AM 

Given that it operated in winter, I don't think the engine cooling would have been much of a problem. It is curious to wonder what benefit the German fitters thought they would have gotten from altering the shape. I can imagine the enlisted men who applied the deck cover complaining about the dumb idea. hahaha

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
http://www.amps-armor.org

 
 Respond to this message   
Steven Milstone-Turner
(Login Steve1987)
Missing-Lynx members
72.140.225.75

Looking good Roy!

June 10 2008, 10:57 AM 

Hey Roy!

Hope all is well!! Your projects are coming along great.

-Steve

 
 Respond to this message   
James Duncan
(Login jdun91764)
Missing-Lynx members
76.204.50.1

Too cool-

June 10 2008, 2:12 PM 

I had no idea there were Ersatz StuG- I thought only M10 Panthers-
great job-

JD

 
 Respond to this message   
 
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  


Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse