I made some progress on the BT-7 in the past few weeks. I assembled part of the hull, gluing together the inner hull first from 2 mm plates (actually sandwiched 1 mm plates). Like on the real tank, I put spacers on the outside of the inner hull for attaching the outer hull plates:
I made a couple of covers and other details for the hull bottom in a spare evening:
At the rear is some kind of sump cover, that I copied from Tamiya kit. Wrong! The angular part at the rear shouldn't be there. It is fitted to the museum vehicle that Tamiya used for reference, but I can't find any other pictorial evidence of it anywhere. I guess it's a postwar addition for fitting a different engine.
Wartime pictures clearly show that this cover should be symmetric front to rear, apart from a small row of rivets:
Then it was time for fitting the side plates. Here my careful measuring and drawing paid out, everything fit together almost seamlessly:
Next up were the final drives. These will be covered later with thin armor plates:
And last but not least one wheel half arrived from the printer's. The surface of the wheel is a little rough, but the material is not too hard to sand smooth. Altogether I'm happy with this first attempt at 3D printing!
That's it for now. The next step will be attaching the nose plates and installing the front suspension...