Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bronco SU152 (KV14) 95/% done

February 28 2017 at 11:25 AM
Steve Pilbeam  (Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 86.128.95.186

Hi everyone, this is my attempt at the Bronco SU152. It is built OOB. This will accompany my recent Ferdinand onto small diorama / vignette. I have yet got to source a crew for it and to finalise the exhaust weathering, more fuel stains, drivers vision block needs a shiny black look, the oil drum ties and final weathering on the lower tracks when placed onto the groundwork, but other than that it is done.

The instructions show one version without unit markings and I thought that would do for me. There is a variation in the paint tone and it has some subtle weathering but I am not sure if that it enough and wondered if anyone else would / could suggest anything further for me to do to enhance the look a bit more, I was considering giving the top of the turret some earth coloured paint over a hairspray layer and then scrubbing away to produce a worn muddy / dusty look as I have tried to do on the front fenders ??? Any comments welcome.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90376089/DSCN2300.JPG

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
tony zadro
(Login azadro1)
Missing-Lynx members

nice

February 28 2017, 1:09 PM 

I like it just the way it is...nice job......

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re nice

February 28 2017, 5:38 PM 

Hi Tony, thanks for your comment, I appreciate it.

Respond to this message   
Matt Nethery
(Login Retiredyank)
Missing-Lynx members

Impressive. Did the rear, upper hull not mate with the rear, lower hull well?

February 28 2017, 1:35 PM 

Respond to this message   
Robert Lockie
(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

There isn't a join as such

February 28 2017, 2:58 PM 

The interface between the curved rear of the deck and the hull rear plate is a mesh grille through which the air exhausts. It's not visible in the photos as it is reverse angled and fitted above the curved air deflector plate but the rear end looks fine to me.
Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

Respond to this message   
Bob Cash
(Login bobcash)
Missing-Lynx members

Joint gap

February 28 2017, 5:12 PM 

I think Matt is referring to the gap between the curved rear hull armor and the side of the hull. Those pieces are welded as far as I know so there shouldn't be a gap there. Perhaps a little filling or some judicious application of mud is needed? Otherwise I think it is a pretty nice job.
Regards,Bob

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re Joint gap....

February 28 2017, 5:43 PM 

Hi Bob, I think you are right, a little more mud will sort that. Cheers,thanks for your comment.

Respond to this message   
Robert Lockie
(Login RobertLockie)
Missing-Lynx members

I'd steer clear of mud to cover that

March 1 2017, 2:27 AM 

Sorry, I misinterpreted the meaning of upper and lower in the post. I saw a line where you describe but couldn't tell if it was a gap.

I think you would be much better to apply a thin sliver of filler there as it's not an obvious place to find mud when there is a full set of trackguards.
Rob
There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re I'd steer........

March 1 2017, 3:22 AM 

Cheers Rob, thanks for the heads up I will do as you say.

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re Impresive . Did........

February 28 2017, 5:40 PM 

Hi Matt, it really is annoying when Macro picks up something you miss which appears so obvious. I cant recall if I had problems with that piece. It will be rectified !! Thanks for pointing it out.

Respond to this message   
Luigi Graffi
(Login luigigraffi)
Missing-Lynx members

Excellent Job Steve!!!!!

February 28 2017, 1:48 PM 

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re Excellent.....

February 28 2017, 5:43 PM 

Cheers Luigi !

Respond to this message   
Doug Bauer
(Login drop-off)
Missing-Lynx members

SU152

February 28 2017, 2:44 PM 

Looks great, Steve...you really caught that "big hunk of metal" look...I really like the chipping on the drive sprocket - looks authentic. Great job!

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re SU152

February 28 2017, 5:45 PM 

Hello Doug, thanks for your comment, I am pleased you like it. I just ponder as to whether it needs a bit more weathering so to speak?

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

Freakin' awesome all round...

February 28 2017, 4:45 PM 

Hi
Love it. Ace dirt and stuff. Yes, add a bit more filth on top. I believe the fuel drum central bands were in a dark/ rubber colour, and it needs tying down too.

Possibly a little white Cyrillic number or something on the side if not a div sign?

Great colour and shading all round.

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re Freakin'.......

February 28 2017, 5:47 PM 

Hi Andrew, thanks for your time and comments. I will address the tie downs and mud/ filth.

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Looks the biz ! I would add some more

March 1 2017, 9:35 AM 

dirt and mud if you have to but not any more chipping and rust as I think you have that under control already. I love the dried mud thing you have going on,you are really nailing this kind of look and thank you for not putting black powder burns on the muzzle ! LoL Maybe just a few personal items from the crew on top somewhere ?
This one is shaping up to be even better than the last. NICE !
J

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Re looks the biz............

March 1 2017, 9:59 AM 

Jerry, once again thanks for your gracious comments. For my last few projects I have recently begun to hold back on the chipping and rust thing since I sometimes think that there's simply too much of it so much of the time. ( I have been guilty of that on more than one occasion). More often than not, it appears to me that its the dirt, dust and mud that weather these vehicles rather than billions of chips and oodles of rust, albeit I do understand there is a time and place for extreme weathering in some circumstances - That's my opinion anyway. As for the black powder burns - I nearly did that !! but again thought does that happen often? so I just 'graphited' the end of it. I was considering putting a couple of rolled / flattened tarps on the fender or on the turret to break the green appearance and maybe a jerry can or so placed on the hull. Yes, I will consider more dirt, just got to work out what will look ok? Thanks again buddy.

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

A few scruffy oddments...

March 1 2017, 6:00 PM 

of varying tones would attract and break up the shape a bit. Their tarps tended to be scruffy. Perhaps an ammo box too, or spare shell case? Even sticks for a fire...

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Scottie
(Login scottie158)
Missing-Lynx members

excellent

March 3 2017, 3:28 PM 

Steve, Another great build nicely weathered and very realistic.

Paul

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse