Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1/35 King Tiger Abt 505. Finished and 1/35 Pz. Kpfw III Ausf L. Abt 502 Ready for Paint

February 28 2017 at 1:18 PM
Peter Chippure  (Login pchippure)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 104.129.192.56

Hi All,

Just throwing up some of my recent work. We have a finished King Tiger, from Dragon, that was enhanced with Friul tracks, RB Barrel and Eduard PE. It was painted with Lifecolor paints, weathered with Oils and Pigments.
Up next on the paint bench is Cyberhobby's Pz Kpfw III Ausf L that will be finished in whitewash over dunkelgrau, belonging to Abt 502. I did some minor detailing here - thinning down and bending/denting the fenders, thinning the exhaust shields, and replacing the tool handles with PE to refine the look. Looks 75% as good as full PE for 25% of the work!

Cheers,

-Peter

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ron Hetherington
(Login veezerboy)
Missing-Lynx members

Like the KT paint/weathering.....BUT the exhaust needs to be fixed....

February 28 2017, 3:19 PM 

This is how I do mine, just scroll down a few to see my Tiger I.

Testors Model Master Warm Skin Tone for the base. Let it get tacky so when you get to the next steps, the tackiness of the paint gives the rest of the colors a grainy look.
With a sponge, Vallejo Light Rust lightly over the whole thing.
With a sponge, Vallejo Dark Rust mostly around the top and bottom with a light dab on the center. With a newer exhaust, more spread on the center.
Black Pigment around the opening.

Your done.........

Respond to this message   
Andrew Tomlinson
(Login AndrewTomlinson)
Missing-Lynx members

Superb paint job !

February 28 2017, 4:48 PM 

Agreed, the exhaust stacks need less orange colour.

V good otherwise.

Cheers
Andrew

Respond to this message   
Peter Chippure
(Login pchippure)
Missing-Lynx members

Feedback

March 2 2017, 2:31 PM 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I agree in these pics the exhausts are quite orange - they aren't quite as bad in person.
I actually had the exhausts in a good spot (similar to Ron's) and then ruined it with pigments.
I think at this point I will just go back over them with some sponge washes from the Lifecolor Rust set to tone it all down and call it a day.
Cheers,

-Peter

Respond to this message   
Ron Hetherington
(Login veezerboy)
Missing-Lynx members

Peter, if you had them painted how you want them, take them off and...

March 2 2017, 5:36 PM 

wash the pigment off. It will come off in soap and water.

I did the exact thing!! Though the pigments would give it a grainy look. They just sucked on and I could not get the pig color to work. When I removed them and washed them, boom, I had the painted look back. No more of the pigs on my exhaust. Only the black and on tracks......

Respond to this message   
Cesare
(Login cecetotoy)
Missing-Lynx members

About zimmerit:

March 2 2017, 9:11 AM 

how did you remove it from Tiger turret getting an Even flat surface?
Thank you.
Cesare
http://cecetotoy.blogspot.it/

Respond to this message   
Peter Chippure
(Login pchippure)
Missing-Lynx members

Turret Zimmerit

March 2 2017, 2:37 PM 

Hi Cesare,

I actually made a mini chisel by using a dremel to grind off about 2/3 (or more) of a flat Olfa blade. I then had a very small flat blade, chucked it in my Olfa knife handle, and used that to clear off the zimmerit (I marked off the area with tape/pencil).
Once things were close, I then used Tamiya Surface Primer w/ a brush to fill in the small flaws and then finally used some sandpaper to finish it off. If you have a look at the unpainted pics you can see the Tamiya surface filler at work.

Respond to this message   
jamie sumner
(Login jimmy66)
Missing-Lynx members

exhaust looks fine

March 2 2017, 9:45 PM 

i also have a KT on the table this one looks awesome mate.. I find a nice rose pink/orange on the exhaust looks best on my computer they look spot on

Respond to this message   
Peter Chippure
(Login pchippure)
Missing-Lynx members

Exhaust Touchups

March 4 2017, 12:57 AM 

Went over it with some light pink washes, dark rust sponge chipping and wet on wet with Lifecolor. Looks better now. I think this is where I leave it. (These are just cell phone photos)

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse