Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Shapeways 3D stuff

March 1 2017 at 5:05 PM
Doug Bauer  (Login drop-off)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 98.232.182.115

Just bought the driver compartment for the Meng "Shilka" from Shapeways - man, I couldn't believe the detail in those things!! I've never worked with this 3D stuff before, does anyone have any experience with it? I primed the parts with automotive primer, and have yet to cut the pieces from the sprues - are there pitfalls? I know it's pretty fragile stuff so any advice will be greatly appreciated. TIA

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Marc Brandes
(Login marc-brandes)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Shapeways 3D stuff

March 2 2017, 6:36 AM 

I've used 3D printed items and just treat them as regular plastic parts. Prime with Tamiya rattle can and airbrush with Tamiya acrylics.

Respond to this message   
roy chow
(Login roy_chow)
Missing-Lynx members

3D resin

March 2 2017, 7:44 AM 

Examine the parts after you've primered. Sometimes minute ridges appear, a remnant of the printing process. If so, sand or file down those ridges and primer again.

Use a razor saw when removing from the runner -- don't try to force it like you would normal resin parts. Use CA to affix to your model. Good luck!
Roy Chow
Join AMPS!
http://www.amps-armor.org

Respond to this message   
Mark Ford
(Login fordmark36)
Missing-Lynx members

wash it

March 2 2017, 12:07 PM 

I have bought some of the Shapeways products for myself. Instructions highly recommend washing the parts in warm soapy water to remove any of the "wax" material before assembly and paint.
Mark

Respond to this message   
Doug Bauer
(Login drop-off)
Missing-Lynx members

Thank you for your input, men! N/T

March 2 2017, 1:53 PM 

Respond to this message   
Mike Goldberg
(Login MikeyBugs95)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Shapeways 3D stuff

March 8 2017, 2:29 PM 

Everything that the above members said but before priming, you should've let the parts sit in sunlight or under a UV lamp for a few hours to cure any uncured resin. Then rinse the parts in warm soapy water or soak them in dish detergent and lightly scrub with a soft brush to remove grease or wax. You could also soak the parts in White Spirit (but nothing stronger) for a few minutes and then let dry completely. Then prime the parts with acrylic primer. Do **not** use any solvent based paints on the 3D printed parts because the paints could not dry properly and at worst melt the resin. I'm even weary of using Tamiya "acrylics" because they aren't true acrylics and are flammable.

To attach the parts I'm sure you're aware that you need to use CA or super-glue.

This message has been edited by MikeyBugs95 from IP address 137.125.156.48 on Mar 8, 2017 3:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Cliff Leverette
(Login J.Clifford)
Missing-Lynx members

I know the pitfalls...

March 10 2017, 2:31 PM 

the items had tiny bumps all over them. Great for helmets trying to look like the paint had sand poured in like a lot of GI helmets had, but the bumps didn't look so great on a stamped metal gun part. As for the helmets, I wish I had known about the solvent thinner paint prohibiton. Two weeks later, the helmets were soft and sticky. So, watch out, boys! Don't do what I did or you'll end up at the House of the Rising Yelp.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse