Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Warrior's 1: scale US Ranger BAR Gunner

March 6 2017 at 5:49 PM
Steven Zuleski  (Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 64.125.109.172

I know this isn't armor Gents, but when you see the final dio, you'll give it a pass.

This is the last figure in the line to be painted for a "huge" 200mm dio, complete with two bikes and 5 figures. The base is going to be a logistical nightmare, but we can maker er happen. My curio cabinet may need an add on, lol.

At any rate, this last figure was a joy to work with, so well sculpted and detailed. Oils over arcylics, of course, because I'm an "oiler". A havre sack was added with straps, hands reconfigured to fit the Thompson and a strap for that, and the back was filled in where the back pack was to be installed. If you see anything besides a Thompson instead of a BAR, let me know, the dio won't be complete until winter 2018, outside summer work is my excuse. All comments welcome.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Cheers, Ski.

"RuckOver Baby"

This message has been edited by PolishBrigade from IP address 64.125.109.172 on Mar 6, 2017 5:54 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Wow !

March 6 2017, 6:22 PM 

Hi Steven, this is beautifully painted. Really look forward to seeing the big picture,tremendous.

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Wow !

March 6 2017, 9:20 PM 

Thx Steve, the huge base will come along as soon as the snow flies, Oct/Nov 2017. I hate it, but I can never keep the bunker powered up in the summer, way too much outside work. But hey, at least I don't live a city, lol.

Thx for the kid words, greatly appreciated. Cheers, Ski.
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
Tom Morgan
(Login halbcl2)
Missing-Lynx members

This is exceptional! I especially admire the face and hands. Am I safe in . . . .

March 6 2017, 6:44 PM 

. . . assuming he will be a little more "dirty" once in the dio?

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: This is exceptional! I especially admire the face and hands. Am I safe in . . . .

March 6 2017, 9:22 PM 

Most certainly Tom, but I really need to wait on the base and the Euro dirt I've mixed up. It will be close to what was on my Harley. There's so many steps that need to transpire before I get back to the figures, veggies, structures, etc. Thx for the compliments, glad ya like him.

Cheers, Ski.
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
Ed Keene
(Login EdKeene)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice, but who stole his BAR?

March 6 2017, 10:19 PM 

He has BAR ammo pouches and no Thompson magazines. Painting is super.

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Nice, but who stole his BAR?

March 7 2017, 11:54 AM 

Thx Ed. I recon I should have explained the Thompson a bit more. The BAR would never have worked with him riding the Harley, http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1485807669/Hog+of+Hogs, and a havre sack was added to hold the Thompson magazines. Not unheard of for guys to change out weapons or ditch that heavy pig either. I pondered taking those BAR magazines off long ago, but decided poetic license would be in order, and it gives a bit of interest to the scene.

Thx for the compliments Ed.
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
Frank Michaels
(Login FMS57)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice...

March 7 2017, 7:12 AM 

ammo pouches are incorrect though...

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Nice...

March 7 2017, 11:56 AM 

Thx Frank, havre sack has Thompson mags.
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Love your skill with painting and blending and the

March 7 2017, 1:03 PM 

choices in colors are spot-on IMHO as well. You indicated dirt will be added and that is all that's missing as far as I can see. The cool thing is,all the gear makes sense and it "sits" well too. You know how much I love the "weightless gear" thing.
This will be an awe inspiring dio and worth waiting for man,
J

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Love your skill with painting and blending and the

March 8 2017, 1:05 PM 

Thx Jerry. Yes, the back pack and other gear would not have worked in this case, especially on a Harley. There will be a bit of dirty work coming to marry him to the base and the color range was as close as I could get it to reference pics I found on line, etc.

I do love my oils for the simple fact of "blending", can't stand layer after layer. I gave up on enamels back in the late 80's for oils, can't imagine doing it (layering) again. I recon I'm one of those old dogs you "can't" teach a new trick, lol.
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
Bob Cash
(Login bobcash)
Missing-Lynx members

The Thompson

March 8 2017, 5:20 PM 

Hi Steve,
First of all let me say that I love your figure painting skills, old school or not you do beautiful work. I do, however have an issue with the Thompson. Either that guy has catcher's mitts for hands or that gun is under scale! The Thompson was a hefty weapon weighing in at just over ten pounds and being 32 inches long for the M1A1 or 33.5 inches for the M1928A1 with the barrel alone being over ten inches long. I know it's just my opinion, but the guy looks like a kid with a toy gun! Sorry,I don't mean to be offensive in anyway because like I said I like your painting.
Regards,Bob

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: The Thompson

March 8 2017, 11:41 PM 

Thx Bob, and no offense taken. This forum is called "constructive comments" for a reason. I do agree with your observation completely, but my bad for not finding a replacement. The length of the magazine alone was a dead give-away for me right up front, but I ran with it. That BAR was a bit bigger than I wanted to deal with in this dio.

I ran thru a basic layout of the base today with all five figs, bikes and proposed structure/veggies. It's going to be challenging to make it look realistic and not too crammed. I'm going to have to study "optical illusionary tactics" to make this work. Ooh, now there were a few big words, lol. Needless to say it's gonna be a "baby rump kisser", if ya know what I mean.

Hey, I built that Harley twice, so I know it's a bit closer to the real thing, lol. Thx for the kind words and your comments Bob, it all helps me make a better go next time round.

Cheers, Ski.
"RuckOver Baby"

This message has been edited by PolishBrigade from IP address 64.125.109.172 on Mar 8, 2017 11:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Bob Cash
(Login bobcash)
Missing-Lynx members

The Thompson part deux

March 9 2017, 1:18 PM 

Hi Steve,
No problem,sometimes you have to take what you have and run with it. I think we've all done that. It just seemed like everybody was 'drinkin' the Koolaid' on the subject of the gun. Maybe a biker's special snub nose version of the Thompson!?!? lol. Still a great figure and I'm sure the dio will be just as good.
Regards,Bob

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: The Thompson part deux

March 9 2017, 2:33 PM 

Thx again Bob, maybe a Tanker's version would have been nice.

I did some preliminary layouts yesterday, it's going to be a real hoot making this work, lol.

Cheers, Ski.
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

There is no real "tanker" version

March 10 2017, 3:31 PM 

i see this a lot today... Tanker Garand, Tanker 98K... modern terms for usually modern fabrications. The Thompson's butt stock was removable with a push button release so, for vehicle use, you could remove the stock to make it more compact. But there was not a specific "tanker" nomenclature and the guns were no different than any other. I think the problem with this gun is that it is grossly underscale. I own a model 1921 and its large and very heavy. Fully loaded its about 20 something lbs. I'm not sure the model gun with the figure is proportioned that well either. There probably should be a bit more barrel protruding in front of the fore grip.

Respond to this message   
Bob Cash
(Login bobcash)
Missing-Lynx members

The Thompson part trey

March 10 2017, 3:53 PM 

Hi,
Yeah,I'm aware there was no 'tanker' or 'biker' version of the Thompson,I was joking with Steve about the underscale gun he used with the figure. I'm well aware of the Thompson's size and heft which is what prompted my original post.
Regards,Bob

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: There is no real "tanker" version

March 11 2017, 1:30 AM 

You are correct Dave, it came with the Harley and was supposed to be stowed in the scabbard. I've felt from the start that the barrel was too short as well as the magazine.

You'd think after all the effort I put into making the bikes as correct as possible I would have paid more attention to this, but it got under the wire as far as quality control, scale accuracy, etc., IMHO.

But, it'll do for my purposes and won't be changed out, can't fathom messing with this figure any more. I'm falling back to the golden rule, this is a hobby, not a job, and poetic license takes over in this case. When it becomes a job I'll hang up my brushes and just sniff the paint, or even glue my fingers together, lol. HA! Thx for your comments Amigo, understood and greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Ski. wink.gif
"RuckOver Baby"

This message has been edited by PolishBrigade from IP address 216.81.81.80 on Mar 11, 2017 1:37 AM

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Proportions aside

March 11 2017, 1:45 PM 

Workmanship is great.

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Proportions aside