Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Revell King Tiger

March 15 2017 at 7:32 PM
David Nickels  (Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 65.33.79.222

The new Revell/ICM King Tiger built OOTB, well almost. I did use Spade Ace metal tracks and a basic Aber photo-etch engine deck screen set. The paints are a base of Vallejo Poly Primer Dunkelgelb with hand painted Green and Brown camo using Vallejo Model Color German Splinter Color and Mahogany. If you mix the Model Color paints with some Glaze and Retarder and thin with some tap water, they hand paint very nicely over large areas. Coverage is about 90% for the first coat and a subsequent light coat takes care of any thin spots. You can do the whole tank in about 3 hours time.
The kit decals are not correct for the time frame the kit parts represent so I made a generic tank using some spare Tamiya decals from the scrap box. It was just a fun project and not meant to be an exact replica of one specific vehicle. I don't go in for heavy weathering so aside from dust (AK Dust Effects) the model is fairly clean.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Paul Kirchner
(Login sturmbannfuhrerblut)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice!

March 15 2017, 11:16 PM 

Very attractive model. A few wing nuts and exhaust armor lifting lugs (and such) would really add to it. The hand painted camo turned out great.

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks !

March 16 2017, 9:59 AM 

The kit itself is really pretty sound. I would rate it about on par with the old Tamiya kit, if not a bit better in most areas. The deficiencies are pretty standard - lack of really fine detail, but a basic etch set would fix that. For the most part, what you get is all pretty good and accurate. There are four areas that may bother some people... The wheel hub detail is just a bit off. I think a big part of the problem is that the grease nipple in the middle is missing so there is just a hole. It would be easy to add a bit of plastic rod to represent the nipple. The side skirts are molded to the upper hull. This is okay if you want to make the tank with full skirts. Otherwise they would be very hard to remove. If you wanted to do so, I would recommend cutting them off horizontally across the top edge then rebuilding the bottom of the hull sides with thick plastic. The main gun including gun mantlet and muzzle brake are split into halves. This actually worked out okay and was not a problem with some careful assembly. But, a Panzer Art mantlet and RB barrel would fix this. The vinyl tracks are actually well detailed, soft, and fit well. But the way the four sections attach is very poor, sloppy and hard to hide since there are multiple joints and each joint is about 2 cm long. I used Spade Ace tracks as a solution.

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

That cammo pattern came out great ! I am a huge fan of

March 16 2017, 11:47 AM 

anything NOT involving an airbrush. They are my nemesis.
Very nice work.
J

Respond to this message   
Greg Sutton
(Login pongo54)
Missing-Lynx members

Nice build

March 16 2017, 12:47 PM 

Did you upgrade the welds on the roof or is that how the kit came? I like it.

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Almost entirely out of the box

March 16 2017, 2:28 PM 

The only changes at all that I made were to use a new fire extinguisher (partly because I lost the kit one), Spade Ace tracks, new decals and the addition of some Aber grills. Otherwise, all of the detail is exactly as it came in the kit. The overall detail on the welds is not bad. Overall I liked the kit for what it is - a basic, inexpensive, model.

Respond to this message   
Scottie
(Login scottie158)
Missing-Lynx members

looks good

March 16 2017, 4:31 PM 

I like the finish the dots are a better size on yours mine are to large.

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Revell King Tiger

March 17 2017, 11:06 AM 

Beauty Dave, fine build. How did the kit go together given it's a Revell kit? Just wondering since back in the day they were rather lacking on accuracy. I've been afraid to touch one, but maybe you can shed some light on them.

Fine work Brotha!
"RuckOver Baby"

This message has been edited by PolishBrigade from IP address 64.125.109.172 on Mar 17, 2017 11:06 AM

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Its an ICM kit reboxed

March 17 2017, 12:27 PM 

Built very easily. The whole thing only took a couple of days time. The only differences between the Revell kit and the ICM kit are the box, decals and instructions. The Revell kit includes two sets of markings but they are both for the same tank (before and after capture in the Ardennes). I didn't use the decals since the real tank was an earlier production type than the kit provides parts for.

Respond to this message   
Dave Coyne
(Login dcoyne333)
Missing-Lynx members

Very cool.

March 18 2017, 8:35 PM 

Nice bit of work David. Good to see the Revell kit built up and looking good.

Dave.

Respond to this message   
Ron Petrosky
(Login orvis47)
Missing-Lynx members

Looks great David!

March 20 2017, 12:29 PM 

Put that B/W shot in a background shot and it would pass for the real thing!
Ron

Respond to this message   
David Nickels
(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

Thank you - I try to view all my kits in black and white

March 20 2017, 7:09 PM 

Helps me determine how well my colors may be in relation to the real thing. Since most photos we use for reference are b/w it is nice to see the model look half way realistic. When I did my Tunisian Tiger I was pleased to see that the two camouflage colors became almost impossible to discern. Same with the pre 1940 brown and grey stuff.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse