Home > Discussion Groups > Constructive Comments
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Messin' around with groundwork,practicing for the Elbe dio

March 17 2017 at 8:45 PM
jerry rutman  (Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 64.121.182.244

The walls of the cottage are my first attempt at using the balsa foam. I used the soft stuff. Big mistake. WAY too soft,fragile and I am not a fan of the fuzzy surface. Live and learn. The foundation is done with my old standby....plaster. Lots of paper stuff and some PE. Tiles cast in resin.
This is about 1/2 done. Mr Cat came by to inspect.

photo IMG_1558_zpsvl7boyox.jpg

photo IMG_1556_zps85bglyqw.jpg

photo IMG_1557_zpsnrvfm5hb.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Erik Gideonse
(Login ErikGideonse)
Missing-Lynx members

This is nice Jerry.....

March 18 2017, 12:10 AM 

Followed this one on 'the other site...'. Nice job overall, and pretty labourus do to those rooftiles to!
Why balsa foam and not trying this with bleu foam? Wanted to try something different don't you happy.gif....

Gr Erik

Ps we are doing the same civilian girl, but mine is/will be total different. Will soon post it!

Respond to this message   
Mirko Bayerl
(Login mirkobayerl)
Missing-Lynx members

No Jerry

March 18 2017, 3:56 AM 

Hi Jerry
I am a honest man and have to say - no this is not working in the level you use to make. The house with that rough Surface dont work ! The Wood dont work for me at all. Why dont you work in real material ???
Sorry , but otherwise its a party for the eyes to look at your Creations. The house Surface ..no Jerry !!

Mirko

Respond to this message   
Frank Michaels
(Login FMS57)
Missing-Lynx members

Agreed on the wood...

March 18 2017, 9:14 AM 

same texture as the walls...basswood or balsa would have represented better...

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

I hear ya. Learning lesson.

March 18 2017, 10:06 AM 

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

I agree about the wood,it doesn't

March 18 2017, 10:05 AM 

"cut it". I am used to working with plaster and also wood sometimes. This is new for me. I like the stucco part here but the wood,not so much.
As usual,we agree.
J

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Yeah,I am not

March 18 2017, 10:04 AM 

happy with the balsa foam. Too soft and too fuzzy. I have in the past made plaster to look way more like wood and other things. This works for the plaster but not the wood. Thanks for the kind words though.
J

Respond to this message   
John Bryce
(Login Bullbasket)
Missing-Lynx members

Works for me.

March 18 2017, 6:11 AM 

I don't know what you call it on your side of the pond, but in Merry England it's known as wattle and daub. I've seen a few old dilapidated cottages where the daub is starting to fall away, and it looked just like this.
BTW. With that cat's tail in the air like that and the semi squat position that it's taken up, I'd be a bit worried about what it's going to do next!!

John.

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Yes,I saw a lot of buildings like this in

March 18 2017, 10:08 AM 

Germany and Europe in general,not so much in England though,but then again I didn't get out in the countryside there as much. I think the daub and wattle came out OK here but the wooden bits....nah. Too fuzzy.
Lesson learned. Thanks for the kind words though. I have not supplied a litterbox so...Mr Cat has no choice !
J

Respond to this message   
Mirko Bayerl
(Login mirkobayerl)
Missing-Lynx members

Wattle and daub..John

March 18 2017, 6:13 PM 

HI
I appreciate Jerrys STYLE of house very much...That is not what I talk about. I talk about the Surface of the Wood. If wood looks like this on your side of the pond...It must have been affected by nuclear fallout from Chernobyl during the years and you got my full support for Brexit !! happy.gif

The house is very nice,,,, but even here on this side of the pond , we got pretty much experience from Wood weathering and oldering too!!

Mirko

Respond to this message   
Luigi Graffi
(Login luigigraffi)
Missing-Lynx members

Amazing ground work Jerry!!!!

March 18 2017, 6:54 AM 

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks my good friend

March 18 2017, 10:09 AM 

Respond to this message   
Kevin Tong
(Login KevT)
Missing-Lynx members

nice work Jerry

March 18 2017, 9:38 AM 

I love the different varieties of plants - the bushes look very realistic. Your cat looks fluffier and more well-fed than mine!

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Kevin. I have learned to use

March 18 2017, 10:11 AM 

variety in the plant life. I am still learning though,what is hit and miss. Taking these in progress pics help a lot to see what works.
I think the kitty is a Tamiya version,I am no longer sure. I did it for the Elbe dio.
J

Respond to this message   
Steven Zuleski
(Login PolishBrigade)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Messin' around with groundwork,practicing for the Elbe dio

March 18 2017, 12:29 PM 

Beauty once again Jerry, love all the veggies, vines and shrubs, house work too. I do agree with the Gents, the wood caught me right away. I understand your desire to show moss on this side of the house, but the textures should be more unevenly dispersed, if ya know what I mean, heavy in some areas, lighter in others. IMHO, of course.

But, it doesn't take away the killer work you put into the ground work and rock work, etc. I do like the vine work, and yes, Felix too, lol. No worries mate, it's all a learning process anyhoo and there ain't but One I know of who walks on water.

Ruck On Bby!
"RuckOver Baby"

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Man. I really hate that I

March 18 2017, 5:41 PM 

wasted all the effort on this balsa foam stuff. I should have kept on my proven path. But. Hey,so it goes.
J

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Attention to detail is excellent !!

March 18 2017, 2:02 PM 

Hi Jerry, despite the comments re the fuzzy bits, I think that your attention to detail is excellent. I really love the reinforced metal rods / weave exposed by the crumbling walls. The ragged look of the steps showing their age. Great! The plant life and vines look awesome and the stone work at the bottom of the house is very realistic. This is a scene I would be proud of. What I would like though, is to see the whole scene from a distance to get the full picture. This is tremendous my friend !!

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Full view

March 18 2017, 5:39 PM 

As you can I have a ways to go.

photo IMG_1559_zpseumrcjrv.jpg

Respond to this message   
Steve Pilbeam
(Login StephenPilbeam)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Jerry

March 18 2017, 8:05 PM 

Wow that's impressive I get the size of the building now. Really good - it's even got a skylight in the roof. By the way, the two guys by the paint pots look as though they have had a great night on the beer LOL !!

Respond to this message   
jerry rutman
(Login jrutman53)
Missing-Lynx members

Thanks Steve,yes,the two amigos are

March 19 2017, 1:50 PM 

going in my big Elbe dio and are behind a building sleeping one off as everyone else gets out of town.
J

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse