CNA Forum

Forum For CNA's and those who care about their work
This forum is open to everyone; no flaming or trolls allowed. Messages deemed inappropriate will be deleted.

Return to Index  

re: Please help....

April 23 2006 at 8:50 AM
Rance 

Response to Please help me with this ;)

I have kind of a 'mixed' response.

I worked in a hospital --- very busy med/surg oncology unit. 'Outwardly', there was definite respect for the CNA's. There were close to a couple of dozen different types of tasks that we did in a given day, and the nurses counted on them getting done. Nurses generally were asking for things, but politely rather than 'barking orders'. Things would get a bit 'warm' on crazy days (a lot of people getting short), but that wasn't personal. Just a lot of people under pressure for some period of time.

Now, the 'mixed' response is that I found out after a while, that 'inwardly', there was a great deal of dislike for a number of CNA's. Basically, the nurses would think very badly of these CNA's (as well they should have), but still treated them respectfully and politely. With the volume of work there was, is was in the nurses's best interests.

The issue was that we had, as many institutions seem to have, a large 'tolerance' for CNA's that failed to call in, were always late, or always seemed to be unable to work weekends and holidays. That is, management would talk to the CNA's, but no action. On the job, those CNA's could not be found for periods of time. In a word, the CNA's were not reliable. I know that in nurse meetings, there was a lot of acrimonious discussion about the techs (some techs).

So, that is what I mean by 'mixed'. I know the nurses would have liked to have replaced a good 50% of the CNA's if they could. But again, while on the job, this was not apparent.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: re: Please help.... - Simone on Apr 23, 2006, 9:41 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement