CNA Forum

Forum For CNA's and those who care about their work
This forum is open to everyone; no flaming or trolls allowed. Messages deemed inappropriate will be deleted.

Return to Index  

Re: Advice

May 1 2006 at 10:25 AM

Response to Advice From Experienced CNAs Please! :)

I have been an aide since 1997. I only started this field because it paid the best in my area without a college degree and provided free training.
Little did I know, that I would still be doing this. But there is this little something in me, I seem to know when someone needs something ( only because I check the rooms every hour) and when they do need something, I always automatically know what they want or can find out by looking at them or talking to them. Each resident has their own quip or quirk - if you can figure that out, then your job will be a pleasure. My paycheck is not figures it is thank yous and I don't know what I would have done w/o you.
When I first started, I was blessed to be trained by an aide that didn't always get done on time, but she loved the residents and took the best care of them she possibly could. It was only for her love of people - which she passed on to me - and I am grateful everyday for it. I noticed right away that the res. took to her more than the other aides, and I strived for that very same thing. Of course you will not be fast in the beginning, because you do not know the people that well and do not have a routine, but it comes with practice. I have drove home frustrated more than once. But do not forget about other aides that come to work with you - remember the hard times you had and try to make their's better by helping out - whether telling a res.'s fav drink or helping them empty linen carts at the end of the shift. My rule is that I do not leave until everybody's work is done.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Thanks - Michelle on May 1, 9:08 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement