CNA Forum

Forum For CNA's and those who care about their work
This forum is open to everyone; no flaming or trolls allowed. Messages deemed inappropriate will be deleted.

Return to Index  

Boundaries

May 25 2008 at 12:20 AM
Dawn 

I have a problem that I need some advice on. I just started as a CNA in a local Nursing Home. I love my job, I love working with the residents.

My problem is how the residents treat ME. I read a lot of articles about CNA's treatment of the resident and I work hard to make my residents comfortable, feel cared for and clean.

I expect some challenges and overcoming abuse, and I have not been disappointed. I have a great deal of patience for those who are confused, has Alzheimer's or dementia. However my patience is strained when residents who are alert and not terribly disabled. Being bossed around, called names, and the call light being pushed at least 6 times in one shift.

The other night one resident called me 'stupid', 'I didn't do it like the worker in the day'. It got to the point she was screaming I was hurting her (which of course was not true) Finally I put down whatever it was I was holding, I looked at the woman in the eye. I told her in my mother stern voice, "I am a certified nurse's assistant, I am not your personal maid. I will help you and make you as comfortable as I can. I will not accept this behavior any longer."

At first it was a power struggle. But after standing firm she tried to intimidate me, I looked at her straight in the eye and repeated what I said. Things calmed down quite a bit after that.

She said.. "You are usually so nice."

"I am a nice person, but I can't let you treat me like that. I don't think you'd like it if anyone did that to you."

Ok, questions. Can anyone share their experiences and what they did?

Thank you

Dawn

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. re: Boundaries.... - Rance on May 25, 2008, 9:03 AM
  3. boundaries - dl on May 25, 2008, 1:21 PM
  5. Re: Boundaries - Danny on May 26, 2008, 5:10 PM
  7. food for thought on boundaries... - xtech64 on Jun 7, 2008, 11:42 PM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement