CNA Forum

Forum For CNA's and those who care about their work
This forum is open to everyone; no flaming or trolls allowed. Messages deemed inappropriate will be deleted.

Return to Index  

had same experience

June 28 2012 at 4:23 PM
Karen 

Response to CNA with a complicated issue.

this seems to be a new hiring tactic of some nursing homes.

In my situation, it was a group interview. They kept asking us how we worked with people. I assured them I had good people skills. They kept us in the group interview for 2 hours, we watched a video about how the company was founded (totally irrelevant, in my opinion) then told us to come back later that evening for a two hour shift to "shadow" on a hall with an aide, to see if we liked the place or not. To me, this was asking for free work from applicants! I agreed, but only because I was still interested in working there at that point; so I returned later that evening, and helped out an aide on the hall for 2 hours. Then I informed the administrator I would be leaving, she said "I need you to come here at 5 in the morning and do some more shadowing in our Alzheimer's unit". I said NO. I don't get up that early in the morning unless I am ON THE PAYROLL. I told them I was available if they wanted to hire me, but would not be doing any more free work. I never heard back from them, of course.

As a CNA, you DO NOT HAVE to BEG anyone to hire you. The elderly population is exploding, and there currently aren't enough people who want to do these caretaking jobs. Once the economy improves even slightly, many CNAs will move to other career fields. There will be even greater demand for caretakers for the elderly.

Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Never be job scared - Mary on Jul 2, 2012, 12:22 PM
    1. good grief - Karen on Jul 4, 2012, 3:25 PM

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement