Respond to this message
Original Message
  • The Human Adventure

• Posted Jun 23, 2005 3:03 PM

Well, simply put, I will eat my hat if The Human Adventure was anything other than a slipcover encasing James H. Breasted's Conquest of Civilization and James H. Robinson's Ordeal of Civilization. A company did publish the books together at the proper time for Durant's list, the books fit Will's descriptions to perfection, and (perhaps most convincing) the chapters of the volumes line up exactly with Durant's assignments on his list. In fact, in the introduction to a later edition of Conquest of Civilization, Edith Williams Ware writes, "...Dr. Breasted was induced in 1926 to prepare a somewhat more mature book, based on the foregoing text but without the pedagogical details. This book he called the Conquest of Civilization, a title envisaging Man as having set out on a great adventure - the "Human Adventure" -..."

All this evidence is strong enough for me to be rather sure that the mysterious The Human Adventure was merely a packaging of Conquest of Civilization and Ordeal of Civilization into one set, perhaps with a slipcover bearing the The Human Adventure title.

I hope this research and reasoning helps others...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

Will Durant Online