Return to Index  

I see it this way...a gun is primarily a tool, not art. With good design..

February 8 2010 at 11:54 PM
scot laughlin  (Login classicalgas)
YF

Response to Maybe it won't get used in your Possey of guns Scott

and execution, a tool can be beautiful.Tools, especially weapons, have been embellished since the first cave man dyed the handle of his favorite club with berry juice. Embellishment is fine, SO LONG as the usefulness of the gun is not reduced. IMO, good lines and function come first; no amount of polish, inlay, engraving, fish scale checkering,or what have you will fix an ill handling or bulbous gun...you are just putting lipstick on a pig.

A related issue is utility. My Parker Hale Phoenix is never going on a farm hunt,and that's a pity,because in some ways it's ideal for birds in the barns. However, the only route to a good vantage point is often through ankle deep liquid cow poo, and the idea of dropping that gun, or even the magazine(close to $100, if I could even find another...)in that mess makes me shudder.So for much of my favorite shooting, the Hammerli 850 is a much better gun than the Phoenix...plastic stock, painted pot metal, and all.

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..