Return to Index  

Some detail pics for those interested...

May 11 2012 at 12:34 PM
Dave Dunn  (Login daved20319)
YFOT

I've been so busy working on my QB build that I've taken very few pics, despite some requests to the contrary happy.gif. So here's my attempt to rectify that situation.

The assembled valve:
[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

And the exploded view:

This is my interpretation of the pedestal valve. Opened up the sides for better flow, removed the piercing needle and associated parts, and made a custom valve stem/head. Replaced the stock spring with a lighter, longer spring that I happened to have on hand. What you can't see is the work on the valve head, the seating ridge for the stock valve has been removed, and the seat itself machined to a conical profile to match the valve head. And opened up the transfer port, of course.

I also made a new hammer, here's the stock hammer vs mine:

This is still a work in progress, but it increases the hammer stroke over stock by about .020". It was MUCH heavier than stock when I first turned it, too heavy, so I put it on a diet and brought it down to the same as stock, 56 grams. This was still too heavy, I was getting some hammer bounce, so I milled some slots and drilled some holes, it currently weighs 45 grams, and no more bounce, but I lost about 40 fps with Kodiaks, so it's "only" doing 27 fpe right now happy.gif. That said, I'm still running a stock valve spring with stock preload, so my next step will be increasing the preload. I'm still not sure if I like the brass hammer, it doesn't cock as smoothly as I'd like. I suspect that once I get the profile and weight sorted out with this one, I'll turn a new one out of steel. I'm also running it as cock on open, but the bolt throw is really short, makes loading a PITA. I'm seriously considering milling a slot in the side of the tube and installing a separate cocking bolt.

Needless to say, a 30 fpe rifle barks pretty good, so I threaded and recrowned the barrel:

Came out pretty good, and I already know it didn't hurt the accuracy in the least. I've already posted a little about this, but this thing is incredibly accurate, and it seems to shoot everything well. I've owned some pretty high end rifles over the years, none of them have shot any better than this one does, and more than a few haven't shot as well. These things really are an amazing bargain!

And finally, the complete package with "bark tamer" installed:

No mice farting, but it makes a huge difference. Without the LDC installed, this thing will make your ears ring if shot in a confined space. Installed, that bark is reduced to a modest SNAP!, not at all objectionable. And in the open, about all you hear is the hammer noise and the pellet striking the target. Anyway, thanks for looking, later.

Dave

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..