Return to Index  

Doing some stock work on the BAM 51 Finished it today!

June 30 2012 at 5:13 PM
Unrepentantsinner  (Login unrepentantsinner)
YF

I have been working on this BAM 51 for a couple of weeks and have posted on the progress of what I have done.

It came with a 25 caliber barrel and a stock that had what was to me a terrible finnish, not to mention it had been broken and soundly repaired.

So 3 days ago I decided to change the stock. I wanted a Accuracy International clone, but I really did not want to buy a air soft stock and convert it, so I decided to use the original stock and add auto body filler to it and reshape it and paint it.

So it started life out looking a lot worse that this:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

And I wanted this:

The first thing I did was to print out a picture of the AIC stock and then start marking where I would trim the stock.

I cut off the cheek piece so it was even with the top of the receiver channel, squared the front of the forearm and cut the toe of the butt stock to give it the hook for the off hand that the AIC stock has.

The with a $10.00 can of auto body filler I went to work.

I built up the top of the barrel channel rails, the area in front of the trigger guard, the trailng area of the pistol grip and the front of the pistol grip. I went thru most of a can of filler, adding and sanding and adding more.

The AIC has an adjustable comb, so I made a comb and then screwed it to the top of the butt stock, it fits me perfectly without making it into an adjustable comb, so I may skip that option, and the same with the adjustable butt plate.

I may have to trim the butt stock, the way it came with the pad the length of pull was 14.5 inches, I am a litte over 6ft and that is a tad long for me, or I may just put a thin pad on it.

I plan on painting it olive drab like the AIC stock in the picture with black trim, I may or may not do the faux screw heads, I am more interested in function than playing GI Joe.

This is what I have so far.

Finished it today,

Next week I am sending the original barrel and a LW non choked barrel to Dyotat and have a 2nd barrel fitted so that I don't have to put that awful shroud on the barrel to cover up the crude alterations to the original barrel. I have thought about having a lead cut into the barrel breech so I can shoot my 56 grain cast bullets, I am pretty certain I can duplicate 25 ACP velocities. I had the barrel on a Condor and shot my cast bullets out of it already, so I have all the equipment for free bullets of the correct size, not what the pellet manufactures think I should be shooting, or what they just happen to make for the next batch.

This message has been edited by unrepentantsinner on Jul 7, 2012 11:55 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..