<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Georgia Law regarding Pellet guns and BB Guns?

May 16 2007 at 8:04 AM

(Login jder30)
YF

Is there a site that has good information about laws regulating the use and discharge pellet guns or BB guns?
I live in Georgia and there is hardly any information about the use of pellet guns and BB Guns. There is, however, local city and county ordinances, but some Counties and Cities don't seem to address it unless you damage someone's property or injure someone then it is treated as a dangerous weapon or device.
My county Douglas County don't have any ordnance written to specifically address discharge of a Pellet gun or BB gun. If anyone from Georgia has information please post. It's good to the law just in case someone finds your hobby not so appealing.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login JerryL944)
YFOT

BB Gun - Pellet Gun Laws

May 16 2007, 9:26 AM 

Anyone living and or wanting to discharge a BB gun , pellet gun , sling shot , bow in ANY STATE and any county - township - village - city for any reason from target shooting to pest control or even test firing from tune ups etc .
You can check with your Law department and safety director . You can also go to your library and look up all these laws which may be hidden under sub files ( hunting laws / discharging / type and caliber size - shape of weapon involved ) check under noise ordinances .
It might matter how close to a school / day care / hospital / church you will be .
It is a shame that things have gotten so complicated and involved . A lot of these issues have come from careless and thoughtless individuals that where trying to enjoy or abuse some great sports or activities .
There are a lot of complaints that have arisen from just plain everyday nosy DOOO GOODERS / anti gunners / anti hunters .
Guess we are not going to change things at this point .

take care have fun shoot safe .... Jerryl

Respond to this message   
Thome Scott
(Login vomstuth)
YFOT

I live in Cobb County GA and the Home Owners Association

May 16 2007, 9:44 AM 

that "rules" my subdivision removed the section on pellet/BB guns from the covenants. I now can practice in my backyard without a hassle. We do have 2+ ac lots that are heavily wooded.

This was drafted by an attorney so I have to assume they checked the local laws prior to allowing the use of them.

Now I don't have to shoot out my basement door into the backyard. I can actually sit on my deck and practice. My guns are only used for paper punching and homemade FT targets. My dogs take care of all fur barring animals. It is a sight to see a dog climb 8' up a tree to grab a squirel. Skunks are the worst.

Scott

Respond to this message   

(Login critter99)
YF

Look it up here

May 16 2007, 10:59 AM 

Respond to this message   

(Login plinkerton)
YFOT

Check with your county attorneys office ...

May 16 2007, 11:03 AM 

I called the local DA's office (Guilford county, NC) and was referred to a website for county ordinances. Look for firearms ordinances and see how they define what a "firearm" is. In my county, only firearms are regulated and they must be powered by an explosive, thus exempting air guns. Check also the local noise ordinance. In my county it's much more restrictive than the firerms ordinance. Looks like I'm in the market for a couple of barrel shrouds.

Respond to this message   
Doug Owen
(Login DKOwen)
YC

Careful here.....

May 16 2007, 11:38 AM 

"Look for firearms ordinances and see how they define what a "firearm" is. In my county, only firearms are regulated and they must be powered by an explosive, thus exempting air guns."

There might be a dangerous disconnect here. Just because something isn't a firearm doesn't make it OK, other things are regulated and there's a host of hunting and other laws involved.

For sure any reliance on 'no explosives' is not chapter and verse tight, modern firearms use smokeless propellants, BP or substitutes and the regulations reflect it.

Just a thought.....

Doug Owen

Respond to this message   

Andy in NC
(Login airgunandy)
YF

Meaning of "Firearm"?

May 16 2007, 11:13 PM 

In Wake county NC the definition of firearm includes BB and pellet guns that shoot a projectile at more than 600 fps.
A deputy driving by one afternoon saw my son and I shooting our pellet guns. He stopped to see what was going on. Once he saw that my TF41 and my son's Crosman CO2 pistol were not .22 rimfires he was fine with us doing a little target practice.

Respond to this message   
Thome Scott
(Login vomstuth)
YFOT

Law for Cobb County GA

May 16 2007, 1:29 PM 

Sec. 86-5. Weapons discharge.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to discharge a firearm, air rifle, pellet gun, slingshot, crossbow or other similar device into or over property belonging to another person or entity without first obtaining written permission from that person or entity.

http://www.municode.com/Resources/OnlineLibrary.asp

This is a great web site.

Thanks

Scott

Respond to this message   

(Login jder30)
YF

Douglas County Georgia-Municode.com

May 16 2007, 3:58 PM 

Douglas County Ga. for some reason do not or I can not find anything about air rifles, BB Guns, etc.
The area live in is very urban but not too rural. So I should not have too much trouble to be able to safely
in my own backyard.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Georgia Law regarding Pellet guns and BB Guns?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..