<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New QB78 .177

November 23 2016 at 9:30 PM
hfenn  (Login hfenn)
YC

Got my new QB in .177 Beeman branded from Pyramyd Air today. It was after dark when I got home. I pulled some patches through the barrel to clean out the gunk. Cocking had some roughness that smoothed out some while shooting the leak tests. Doing the tissue tests, no leaks seen at the barrel seal, bolt probe or transfer port. I haven't taken it apart yet, but the transfer port seal looks like it may now be an "o" ring (I see black rather than the previous tan color squished there.
I shot a few pellets and it looks good at a short distance. The new fiber optic sights will probably be nice in daylight.
Cocking effort seems less even with the gold bolt handle. Sound level about what I expect on CO2 at 65*F.
The wood looks nicer and more of it than my ten year old example.
[linked image]
(New one on top).
Sighting in, chrony tests after family leaves from the Thanksgiving holiday. The crown passes the Q-tip test and looks ok, but targets will tell.
I may try my HiPac in it, but depends on the CO2 tests.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bReTt
(Login CBPeter)
YC

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 24 2016, 1:27 PM 

Nice new shooter you have there! It's always fun to get a new QB. I have two personally and I still want another... what wrong with me! ha ha ha!

Keep us posted and I am happy for you.

Here is one of mine. It's on HPA.

photo IMG_0504_zpsvi5mowhs.jpg

Brett

Respond to this message   
mafatone
(Login mafatone)
YF12

Re: Happy Thanksgiving!

November 25 2016, 12:13 AM 

I just bought a QB78 Deluxe in .22 for the 1st time. I had to shim the front sight because the rear sight was maxed out due to it shooting high. After that fix, the rifle shot amazingly accurate. If you're going to scope it, it is truly worth it from what I see from iron sights results. Thinking about getting the AR target version seeing these results.

Respond to this message   
hfenn
(Login hfenn)
YC

Some updates

November 25 2016, 1:58 PM 

Yesterday I did some pellet testing at 20 yards with the fiber optic sights and JSB 10.34 gr did the best. Five shots in less than .5"
Last night I moved the action to my laminate stock (posts below under NEW Wood for QB78) and mounted a cheap Center Point scope that came with a Benji NP rifle.
Today I put some pellets over the chrony. Beeman claims 650 fps. It is 75*F while shooting these. A 7gr pellet will go 630 and the 10.34 went 580fps.
Shot some targets in the 5mph variable breeze and the JSB 10.34 will make under half inch groups at 20 yards with usually three touching. I spent some time plinking small plastic vitamin bottles at up to 40 yards and was pleased with the results. The action is smoothing out very nicely.
One fault was the left scope groove had some swarth in it that came out like a piece of wire. If a user had not noticed it, he would have had trouble mounting a set of rings.
This rifle is going to get a nicer AO scope, the glass is not very good on the CP.
Happy Thanksgiving!

This message has been edited by hfenn on Nov 25, 2016 2:00 PM

Respond to this message   
Sophie948
(Login Sophie948)
AR&P

Congrats!

November 30 2016, 8:44 PM 

I've got a couple of QB 78's. If you search these forums you'll find zillions of things you can do to tweak/tune/upgrade them. Great project guns, great tin-can guns.

While you've got lots and lots of stuff to choose to do or not to do, one I really recommend is a complete tear down and cleaning. That thing lived in a container on a ship in the Pacific for some time, and it's internally lubed accordingly to prevent it from being a rust-bucket by the time it was in your hands. But cleaning all that goop out of the bore, especially, makes a big difference.

Respond to this message   
hfenn
(Login hfenn)
YC

Thanks. Been down that road

November 30 2016, 9:02 PM 

hot rodding and modding the .22's. I put this one in the nice stock and it is shooting great.
I did put the HiPac back on my beater .22 along with a home made accc for the blast. Yeah, just can't help messing with them.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..