<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

what happened to the 100 dollar pcp buzzz from 2015 ??

December 19 2016 at 7:29 PM

robny  (Login robnewyork)
YF

i was kinda busy at the time and not reading the forums much

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug Wall
(Login DougWall)
YF

Buzz went bang

December 20 2016, 7:27 AM 

I think that the hype kind of quieted down after the air tube blew off of one. After that, Crosman came out with the Maximus, which is a real PCP at about $200 (I got mine for way less than that at the Field Target NE Regionals). You can also get a QB79 with a HPA tank for about $200.

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

was it the xs60??

December 20 2016, 10:05 AM 

thats the only one I recall going bang..I noticed someone else picked that project back up on GTA> The maximus was 164 shipped during the turkey weekend, so that makes sense.. Theres no remaining market

Respond to this message   
Tom Mace
(Login TOMMACE)
YF12

Re: was it the xs60??

December 20 2016, 4:58 PM 

Rob I have two sx60s they both shoot very nice. One was built with a with a target barrel and a full tune it shoots very accrate the other one was built by me and it shoots hard and very accrate. If you stuck with the 1500 pounds of air you would have trouble at all I heard that it was pushing a lot more air and that was why it let go. Thanks Tom Mace

This message has been edited by TOMMACE on Dec 20, 2016 5:18 PM

Respond to this message   

TOM
(Login critter99)
YF12

BS I was there when it happened

December 20 2016, 6:43 PM 

IT WAS NOT OVERFILLED

[linked image]

This message has been edited by critter99 on Dec 20, 2016 6:47 PM

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

from what ive read

December 21 2016, 11:14 AM 

it sent the air tube about a football field , musta sounded like a cannon!

Respond to this message   
Tom Mace
(Login TOMMACE)
YF12

Lots of storys

December 21 2016, 3:42 PM 

Hi Tom That is what I herd and there is a lot of BS about this kind of thing that goes on when it happens. You say you were there when it happened. What did happen it would be nice to hear it from someone that was there. So if you have time could you let us know Please Tom Mace

Respond to this message   

Tom
(Login critter99)
YF12

day of failure

December 21 2016, 7:38 PM 

the rifle was at 1400 or so he had just filled it. We had decided to call it quits for the day. As his wife was loading the soft cased rifle the tube blew off. Could have easily killed her except for sheer luck. Tube separated from breech which is a pot metal material. Over size hole or undersize threads on tube dont really matter you know China QC .....its just a poor set up steel threaded into pot metal even for Co2. I think this summer Doug found the tube back by his pole barn.

My advice if you have one retire it

Respond to this message   
Tom Mace
(Login TOMMACE)
YF12

Advice

December 22 2016, 4:36 PM 

Thanks Tom I have two of them now I don't know what to do with them. One of them was a custom built for me with a target barrel the other I bought the parts and built it my self both shoot hard and are very accrate. But I can't sale them and take the chance it would happen to some one else. Thanks Tom

Respond to this message   
Frank
(Login NewportAL)
YF

just wondering

December 23 2016, 11:21 PM 

Why you can't sale them? If a person knows and is willing to expect the danger. Why not sell them? I personally would like know more about pair. Can you tell me.
I feel we take a chance with every pcp. I remember back around 2007 when I read a custom qb let loose in a car while the person was in the car if my memory serves me correctly. It almost stop me from buying qb's but I realized that any pcp can and is dangerous. Now I have several.

Respond to this message   
Dave Dunn
(Login daved20319)
YFOT

Considered the XS-60 for PCP...

December 22 2016, 11:02 AM 

Had an early one and the design had me kind of excited about the possibility of converting it to PCP, it would certainly be easier and cleaner than converting a QB. But after playing with it for awhile, I came to the conclusion that the receiver was just WAY too soft, I don't know what aluminum alloy they used, but I suspected recycled pop cans. Add in the fine threads and a steel tube, and it just seemed like a recipe for disaster. Decided to stick to QB's, and I think that was the right decision. Nice little rifle otherwise, and a nice modernization of the QB design, but marred by some bad engineering choices. Now, if they'd used 7075 for the receiver, well, look out world happy.gif!

Dave

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Snobbish...

December 23 2016, 5:54 PM 

Guess it is kind of "snobbish" in a way.

There were some tubes that were a poor match in thread size to the reciever, some with less than fully formed tube threads, so the possibilty of a small threaded tube parting ways with the reciever does exist.

"Snobbish" in that if you are able to take it all the way down and measure the size/depth of the threads, it can be a nice enough fit that it seems to be safe with the recommened 1500 psi max.

To be clear, this is one of the 1st generation (back when they really were $100) and it's possible the first tubes were a little better in QC than later tubes...possible they weren't....never know, other than this one's been checked/measured and no miss match found.

This message has been edited by gubb33ps on Dec 23, 2016 5:55 PM

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

well 1500 psi

December 26 2016, 1:13 PM 

is within the operating range of co2 anyway , So in theory it should have been safe for 1500 from the factory

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..