<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Trade: Do you trade for a used Marauder or a used B51? More details inside post. Thank you

December 28 2016 at 2:20 PM
john  (Login JCarl)
YF12

I have not posted over here for a while, however, I am back as they say. My reason for posting is simple: I am looking to trade a rifle I have and so I posted the necessary ad on the forum. What I am looking for is a PCP in .177 – preferably a multishot.

While the ad has only been out there for a day I have already received several offers. I was curious in comparing two of them with you all and getting your thoughts.
To be fair I will leave names and specifics out of it and only post what I know about the rifles etc. I am looking for any comments as to why I should choose, if I choose to, trade for one of them over the other.

Rifle #1:
- A first generation Marauder in .177. On its third owner who acquired it from someone as the action and barrel assembly then he found a stock for sale and wha-la the .177 was back together. The pros: multishot and it has a regulator (the trader does not know which kind) and claimed accuracy out to 50+ yards etc. The not so good: Has tool marks on the air tube inlet presumably from the reg install. Has some tool marks on the barrel end near the thread on cap for the muzzle. Has more issues with the stock. It is peeling its clear coat and has various pressure marks etc. Comes with one magazine. I am asking if the scope and mounts come with it – awaiting an answer.

Rifle #2:

- The reason I am here on this forum. It is a BAM51 in .177. It has been completely resealed with good ole’ American seals. Holds air fine (both rifles do) and comes with a nice scope and nice rings. It is, of course, a single shot. The seller said that it has also had the barrel lapped and crowned only – he stated that it was a “shooter right out of the box”. Additionally he has replaced the hammer spring and trimmed it to meet his liking. It is set to run off of a 1500 fill for easy pumping (I am fortunate to have a 6K PSI Nitrogen setup so no issues there) and it has a muzzle break – although it is hollow with no internals. He stated that as a 12 fpe rifle it is not that loud anyway. The stock is the thumbhole blonde wood. With only a pressure mark on it.
I own a B40 and have owned several QB 78 and 78 Deluxe’s in the past. I love my B40 and have tuned it with all new seals and the Vortek high power kit. Shot cycle is just great. I have never owned a Chinese PCP.

So what do you say? Thoughts, opinions, comments welcome. I appreciate any feedback you can provide.

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
knt
(Login Rescue912)
YF

The B51 is a nice rifle ... *GRAPHIC*

December 28 2016, 6:50 PM 

... but doesn't have the aftermarket bits & bobs available that the Marauder does. Noise level goes to the M-Rod, as does the trigger.

Pretty sure that is my B51 you are talking about and I just answered the post above this one with similar details you just did in this thread 8)

If the tool marks on the M-Rod pressure tube aren't gouged enough to become stress risers the M-Rod isn't a bad deal. All my guns are hunters and get used in the field so none are pristine. Guess I am saying use doesn't bother me as long as there are no signs of abuse.

Before you trade the Career you might have a look at Chambers UK. They had all the pieces in .177 to convert your .20 this time last week. I am sure you could sell the .20 parts and get most, if not all of your money back. I just had my 707-II carbine in .20 out hunting this morning, love that little rifle. I treat it like a heavy .177 - imagine shooting 13 grains from a small bore. Shoots like a laser and hits like a brick on a bottle!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

I appreciate the info - for certain!

December 29 2016, 9:02 AM 

I agree that signs of use don't bother me either as long as it has not , as you said, ben abused. I also shoot my guns and after all am looking to trade so what I get in return is not expected to be a safe queen. You should not sell yours short however - as it is a real nice looking rifle. I already have a Marauder in .25 and like it alot. Two RAWs in .20 and .25 and a Disco in .22 plus an AAS410 in .22

I am not looking necessarily for exreeme power or down the road tune- ability as long as ther are parts to rebuild/reseal etc. I read your post above and appreciat your info on the use of Chambers to convert the Career to a .177. I have bought from Chambers in the past for my TX and other rifles. They are good folks to deal with.

When I buy, sell or trade I tend to over research all aspects of the "deal" to ensure I did my best to make the right decision. My wife , on the other hand, if she is cold - walks into a store and buys a coat and leaves! Perhaps I need to be more like that huh?

Any way taking my time to decide if that is OK. I appreciate the honest and informative feedback. Also a nice looking tree rat you got there. Do you keep the hides and or eat them?

After all I am from Alabama!

~GOD BLESS~

john

Respond to this message   
Garth
(Login Garmic)
YF12

My B50

December 30 2016, 6:39 PM 

has an excellent trigger, as do most that I've heard about. As well they are built like a tank with most flaws and fixes well documented and attained without having much difficulty to source parts.

Respond to this message   
john
(Login JCarl)
YF12

Thanks Garth! The potential trader is super nice and has addresssed....

December 31 2016, 6:08 PM 

The gentlemen I am looking to trade with is super nice and has already "addressed" the common issues common to the B51.

I am seriously considering it as I like to shoot paper mostly, FT on my property where I have 3 lanes with targets from 10 yards to 50. Ground to up in trees etc. Got tired of going to matches (long drive). I also hunt tree rtas. Plenty usually around.

I like multishot rifles, however, I own plenty of single shot ones too. No problem really with the "desire". In the pics I have it looks real nice and does look well built. I appreciate you chiming in about your experience.

Have a Blessed rest of the weekend!

~GOD BLESS~

-Shoot safe and shoot often-

john

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

Speaking as an owner of both of your options

January 1 2017, 1:59 PM 

Since you already own a M-rod, go with the B-51.

The two are similar in weight and bulk, but the ergonomics of the B-51 are much better, mostly due to the lower sight line allowed by the no mag/no sleeve barrel.

Neither makes a very good woods gun, IMO... both are too long and heavy to be much fun in brush or carrying for long.

I found that the factory brake on the B-51 would accept several common size trim washers, alternating with 0-rings. Not near as quiet as the M-rod, but at 18 ft/lbs, not too loud.

Respond to this message   
Timberhawk
(Login timberhawk)
YF

I own a .22 and .25 Marauder and a .177 B50

January 6 2017, 7:36 PM 

I had to work hard at getting both Marauder to the accuracy level I wanted. I replaced the barrel on the .22 twice and sent it back to Crosman. I had to get a new barrel for the .25 (it was a refurbished gun). Now the .22 can hit a quarter all day at 30 yards and the .25 will hit a time at 50 yards all day. I tuned the B50 down to about 14 fpe and and that is all I did and it will hit a dime at all day at 25 yards. My longest kill I have on a starlings is 45 yards with it. I think the Marauders are quieter and I like them being multi shot guns. Other than that I think the B50 is built more solid and a better gun for the price.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..