<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Think I've sorted out the AirMax(s)

January 7 2017 at 3:50 PM
gubb33ps  (Login gubb33ps)
YF

Now that I'm done taking them apart to see how they work, playing around, testing, believe these two are sorted out (at least for my uses). Anything I do from here would be "just to see".

.177 CO2 plinker to the top / .177 PCP Varmint to the bottom:

photo 6d7f57b3-6f83-45f9-8384-5f6cc56f39aa.jpg

Even though I've been completely inside of them, little ended up being changed. Did turn out that the way they were set up out the box was pretty muc whee they ended up after experimentaion.

I'd call what was changed as OPTIONAL.....changed it to suit me, may not suit you.

1. Trigger job for both (both share the same trigger system). As issued, there is a good bit of take-up to an kind of indefiante sear release (it happens without a definative "bump" of a 2nd stage). Getting the take-up out of the system for a crisp one-stage is easy...having the safety still work as a safety would be the complicated part. If you don't care about safety operation, it is as easy as turning a little "hidden" screw.

2. Co2 Plinker got it's trasfer port reduced, which slowed it down a bit and extended the shot count quite a bit. If LESS power (more shots) isn't "it" for you, leave it alone as its a pretty wide open gas-path.

3. Different LDC's for both. Still detachable by grub-screws like the originals, just a lot more effective and a little lighter weight than the orignal (although longer). If nosie isn't an issue, leave it alone.

4. Sealed the hidden parts of the stocks. Not a bad finish, but wanted to seal the inletting and the nearly raw wood under the butt pad as these will see a good bit of nasty weather. Definately optional, just something I do to all wood stocked airguns (and firearms) rather than have the wood get soaked and swell.

SHARED PLUS-POINTS:
1. Low cost.
2. Very good finish and construction.
3. Both are repeaters, and the 4 mags tested do function fine.
4. Light weight. As shown, mounts and scope included: 6 pounds.
4. Only a sample size of 2 (both .177) but accuracy has been excellent.

LIMITATIONS:

1. The trigger is not a bad weight, just a long "mushy" pull.
2. Magazines are a PIA to load. Supplied single shot trays are easy to deal with.
3. Aren't any easy-to-get "spares", so be thoughtful if mods are on your mind.
4. They end up light weight, but long (like +40 inches). That's shorter than a Discovery/Maxi, but longer than the current trends.
5. Neither is going to deliver long shot counts. Co2 version runs on one 12gr. and the PCP version has about 90cc's of volume, so neither one has the "gas tank" for lots of good shots.

NOTE ON TEMPERATURE:

Put these two away when it was warm. Had tested them both inside a shop heated to 79-80F.

co2 = 8.4 gr. @ 654fps / 8 foot pounds (remember, this one had been down-tuned).
PCP = 16.2gr. @ 822fps / 24.3 foot pounds

It's 36-37F out there today. Let the charged rifles get "cold soaked" for an hour.

co2 = 8.4gr. @ 513fps @ 4.9 foot pounds
PCP = 16.2gr. @ 819fps / 24.1 foot pounds

Good news for me is that it's expected to be back in the 70's by Tuesday....this kind of climate is one of the reasons I bother with co2 at all.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
hfenn
(Login hfenn)
YC

Great information. Thanks for posting; however,

January 7 2017, 9:45 PM 

it's just intensifying the temptation, lol.

This message has been edited by hfenn on Jan 7, 2017 9:45 PM

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

I saw one converted to a bottle on the gta

January 8 2017, 1:12 AM 

I believe the plinkster.. =The challenge was not the tank adapter, thats the same as a 2240 adapter from jds , but the valve having no front seal needed to be addressed// I dont remember exactly how it was done

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Know it can be done.

January 8 2017, 11:56 AM 

Believe that can be done if desired. There is enough room on the valve to lathe in an o-ring seal seat, can remove the little piercing nipple that pops open the 12gr. to remove a major restriction, and fit a QB type tank block.

But...I'd be back in the market for a 12gr. shooting as soon as I did it.

For about $50 more, could buy the PCP version, cut the tube, add the HPA tank, and be done it without any valve mods....and have a tube gauge (which would measure HPA output in this case).

Respond to this message   

robny
(Login robnewyork)
YF

yep

January 8 2017, 11:57 PM 

being down south i can pretty much shoot co2 yr round.. In nY , it was not as practical except the basement.After we totaled what the guy spent to do it on the gta, he could have gotten a both the plinkster and the varmint

Respond to this message   
Timberhawk
(Login timberhawk)
YF

What's the shot count on the PCP version?

January 8 2017, 11:19 PM 

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

How fast/energy per shot?

January 9 2017, 5:01 PM 

Very small air volume for a PCP, so the shot count really can't be long. Out the box, was very fast for a .177 and liked super heavy pellets, so makes for about 18 shots at 23-24 foot pounds (only counting shots inside of 4%). Down tuned to about half the energy (closer to 12 foot pounds) would about double the shot count.

Efficiency really is quite good for a pretty much stock PCP (like 1.3-1.35), so there isn't a whole lot more to expect.

Respond to this message   
Timberhawk
(Login timberhawk)
YF

Thanks.

January 9 2017, 5:59 PM 

I already have a .177 B50 tuned down to about 14 fpe shooting 10.2 gr. Crosman pellets. Accuracy and hitting power kind of fades out at about 40 yards, but your Varminter seems like it might be maintaining it's accuracy and power out well past that range. If it had a larger shot count it would be a big step up from my current starling hunting gun. Still peeking my interest however.

What LCD did you use and where did you get it?

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Not alot of help...

January 9 2017, 7:14 PM 

...as far as the LDC, "they" don't make it anymore. Was a SilientCat(Or something like that) from PowerMax (the HiPac site) but it's been discontinued. Happened to have the outer shell in my parts box and adapted the Crosman sized hole to the 10mm shaft of the Varmint barrel.

THHINK, if you call and ask nice, TKO would make a Disco type LDC to fit...maybe not...haven't tried, but in the past he's been able to adapt his units to odd sized barrels.

Respond to this message   
VAF
(Login VAFarmer)
YC

My plinkster hasnt arrived yet, but really cant do anything with it

January 9 2017, 10:49 AM 

in these temps.

The Co2 gun looks like it will make a great open-the-box and start shooting fun gun, that has enough energy and accuracy for short range pesting along with plinking. No real need to modify.
I just hope that it ends up shooting cheap pellets with decent accuracy.

Have you tried out a Maximus?

Just wondering how the pcp stacks up to others in the price range.........Looks like a pretty good value.

thanks for all the work you have done to share the info.

God bless,

Farmer

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

No Maxi....do have a Discovery....

January 9 2017, 5:17 PM 

Erased the first post.

Make it easy. IF modding is on your mind, buy the Maxi or a Disco, not the Varmint. The average airgunner is not going to want to mod the Varmint as factory spare parts are just not out there, much less after-market parts, so if you screw something up in the modding process, are going to have to make a new part yourself.

Happened this one turned out to be pretty efficient in air use, quite powerful for a .177, likes super-heavy pellets, and accurate. Changing it to something else (like slower/more shots per fill) can be done, but you're going to have to MAKE stuff rather than swap-stuff to do it.

With the Maxi/Disco, likely can just order parts (new or aftermarket) that could do what you intend doing.

Respond to this message   
VAF
(Login VAFarmer)
YC

OH MY! Got to shoot the varmint this afternoon. IF the plinkster

January 12 2017, 8:52 PM 

is as accurate, im gonna be in love.

Really, really like the weight and balance. Trigger aint a Rekord, but its easily as good an out of the box disco trigger IMO. Does look/seem like it could be made very smooth with a polish.

it was VERY accurate.

Cant wait till the co2 gun gets here.

God bless,

Farmer

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..