<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

QB78 .177 MV- okay @ 600fps?

January 27 2017 at 2:17 PM

cobalt  (Login cobalt327)
YF12

New .177 QB78 bought 12-2016. Totally stock. Tested using a chronograph. First CO2 cartridge, getting ~600 fps w/Crosman Premier HP 7.9 gr, want to know if this is reasonable or abnormally low- I've seen reports of QB78 velocities being higher but little/no info on what, if anything, has been done to these guns to get the higher MV. All that I have done is clean the barrel prior to shooting it the first time.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Temperature?

January 27 2017, 5:55 PM 

How cool was the rifle (lets assume it was whatever the air temperature was)?

Respond to this message   
Scot Laughlin
(Login classicalgas)
YF

Seems a little low to me, asuming your were shooting in air temperatures above 60F

January 27 2017, 9:03 PM 

There's lots you can do to bump the velocity up, the archives here are full of tune tricks, but this kit from Archers..http://www.archerairguns.com/QB78-XP-Tune-Kit-p/xptunekit.htm is a great place to start as a newbie 78 tuner.

Respond to this message   
Sophie948
(Login Sophie948)
AR&P

According to the website Scott referred you to...

January 28 2017, 1:36 AM 

...a stock QB78 .177 should do about 625 fps.

But what the other fellow said: CO2 is highly sensitive to cold temperatures.

Respond to this message   

cobalt
(Login cobalt327)
YF12

Temp

January 28 2017, 3:11 AM 

It was around 60-65 deg. F. when I tested the MV. If 625fps is about "normal" @ 75 deg. F, my gun is about where it should be, maybe a touch low, so I guess I can live with 600fps @ the temps I was shooting at. Thanks everyone.

This message has been edited by cobalt327 on Jan 28, 2017 3:15 AM

Respond to this message   
gubb33ps
(Login gubb33ps)
YF

Easy enough to test...

January 28 2017, 9:41 AM 

...rifle won't cool down super fast, so if you set it in a warm room for a half, then quickly chronograph a couple of shots.

Good news is that all the QB's so far have gotten a little faster as the moving parts "mated up" and ran smoother.

Respond to this message   

cobalt
(Login cobalt327)
YF12

No worries

January 28 2017, 9:28 PM 

According to a very reliable source, Steve Archer of Archer Airguns, "The muzzle velocity of QB78-type guns varies by about 2 fps per degree Fahrenheit". So my gun is right where it should be. Guess I'll have to find something else to worry about!

Thanks for the help, everyone. I appreciate it.

Mark

Respond to this message   
Steve888
(Login Steve888)
YF

Re: No worries

February 7 2017, 3:23 PM 

Yes, 600 FPS for a stock QB78 in .177 caliber is right on the nail for muzzle velocity at 65 degrees F.

And yes, my experiments showed a difference of around 2 FPS per degree F in temperature change.

Stephen Archer
Archer Airguns Inc.
http://www.archerairguns.com

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present..