Return to Index  

How the library helped me this morning

May 30 2003 at 9:50 AM
Martha Retallick 

Response to Don't forget the librarian

I'm part of the website team for a local company. The site includes a searchable database which allows for subscriptions (if you want to do a whole lotta searchin') or you can do just one search.

We've been working the kinks out of it, and this process has included trips to the library by Yours Truly. Why the library? Because it has computers that are connected to a T-1 line.

Well folks, you just can't get to that database search from the library computer system. And our programmer has been wracking his brains trying to figure that one out.

Turns out that the problem is in the way the library has its security set up. They do offer unfiltered access, but anything that smacks of a download, no way, Jose. So said the technical support lady at the library.

There are also some restrictions having to do with logging in and out of sites. And it isn't just happening on my client's site. I am able to log into my ISP's WebMail, but can I send myself an e-mail from the library? Nope. WebMail will claim that I'm not logged in. Must be that library security again...

So, if the client wants to go after the library market, we're going to have to do some "adaptive programming."

And that is very good to know.

Martha Retallick, "The Passionate Postcarder"
http://www.PostcardMarketingSecrets.com/

Respond to this message   
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement