Return to Index  

Poetry Does Not Sell Well...That Is...Unless You Are Dead!

March 8 2000 at 1:09 PM

Response to I need help

Esther,

I have just returned from a seminar/workshop with 2 of the world's best experts on marketing your book - Dan Poynter and John Kremer. One thing that was made crystal clear is that poetry does not sell well at all. If you are a dead poet, then people may want your stuff. Many poets died penniless. We remember their great works many decades to centuries after their demise. I'm sure that you are interested in cashflow now.

We had several small publishers that were at the seminar trying to figure out HOW to get rid of 5-6000 books of poetry that they printed for a client (one had printed 10,000 of them). Now their client is a dynamic speaker and is in demand for that. However, his poetry books just sit there. No one buys them. She even stated that the poetry is good.

While I was there, we helped her with the solution and that was to BUNDLE them with another product, a videotape that she would soon produce for him, AND instructed her to produce a workbook for the video. She adds the book of poetry to boost the perceived value of the bundle.

Another way to sell or get rid of poetry is to sell them to corporations as premiums. However, you will need to do your research here. There is a convention each year for premium dealers. If you had your book done, you just might be able to interest someone in them. However, it depends on the theme of your poetry...as you want to match it to the company and their needs, be it seasonal or what.

I hope this helps!

CJ

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement