Return to Index  

John... Put your hand back on your keyboard !

July 23 2000 at 4:38 PM
Ricky Higgs 

Response to Ricky...get your hand off your mouse...

John,

First I'd like to define "the number of pages"......
What is a page?....
My ebook is 186 pages, but if I wanted to, I could have made it 250 pages without writing another sentence!
You see, in the US, the standard page size is "letter" which is smaller than the international paper size of 'A4" which we use here in Australia and many parts of the World. My 186 pages being A4, would translate to over 210 if I reformatted it to "letter" size.
Secondly, how many pages you have, depends on the following;

1. The amount of "white space" between chapters and paragraphs.
2. The font size you use... Some writers publish in point size 12, some in 14 point.
3. The size and number of your illustrations and pictures.
4. The width of your formatted sentences / paragraphs.

So you see, the number of pages is a variable, depending on how you put your whole book together.
You could say that my 186 pages are "condensed" ... Really I am selling the equivelant of 250 pages.
You will notice that Ken Silver, and Ken Evoy's ebooks are not condensed versions, and are done so for easy reading. The word count on both of their ebooks per page is alot less than the word count on each of my pages. But, maybe I'll follow their lead and "space it all out".

Also, something else you have to bear in mind,....
The longer your book, the more pages that will be devoted to
the "contents" and "index" sections which in reality "pad up" the book, but don't really provide important "how -to" information to your reader. For example, Ken's ebook secrets, take 28 pages for the index, contents and "how to use this manual" sections alone....This is normal for a book of this size.

Thirdly, if you are smart,... You can produce 1000 pages of information without having to write it yourself.
It's called buying the reprint rights of someone else's book.
Ken Evoy, who by the way, did not start this thread as you suggest, I did, .... did exactly that!

When I bought his "Make your Site Sell" 495 page ebook, he also gave me Ken Silver's ebook secrets FREE as part of his deal. So I got a total of 915 pages !!! I also bought his excellent "Make your Knowledge sell", as well as his "automation guide", and "Traffic building guide". A total of 1547 pages in one purchase of $89 !!!! .... Beat that.
And no, I have not read it all yet. Much of this valuable information, is yes, "Reference material" which I can refer to as I need it.... Like a Dictionary or Encyclopedia.

Whether or not our buyers of our ebooks read all the "pages" we give them or not, is irrelevent.... Their happy because they believe they have bought got their monies worth.

My suggestion to you, John, is to put your hand back on your keyboard and pump out more "pages", or do as Ken Evoy did, and open your check book and buy reprint rights.

It's no point being envious or jealous of those that have put in the blood, sweat and tears to produce mega ebooks and are raking in the dollars. That's why Corey Rudl, with his 600 page manual , combined with his other ebooks, rakes in $5,000,000 a year now!... And all online.

If you can "source" or "write" a mammouth 1000 page ebook on any worthwhile subject, create a winning Web site that sells, and can market to get the targetted traffic to your door ...
Then it's "game, set and match" ... You'll get the lion share of that market to.

Warmest Regards

Ricky Higgs
Author of the ebook, interactive multimedia CD-ROM and printed manual
"How to earn a good income from the Internet in just 14 days"
www.1website1.com
"The one Web site that makes you number one"
ricky@1website1.com

Respond to this message   
Responses

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement