Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Pick one...

• Posted Oct 9, 2004 3:34 AM

Hi Neil
      Thank-You for your response. Your response brought up some other questions. I have just purchased the winzip and extractor to create a .exe file of my four courses. Your mention of Stuffit made me think, should I use stuffit to create both Pc and Mac downloadable files or use Winzip for Pc and Stuffit for Mac? Also which version of of Stuffit should I get to create Mac executable files?

You're making this much more difficult than it really is.

First of all, pick ONE - either StuffIt or WinZip, and stick to it for both Mac and PC. It will make your life much easier.

Secondly, unless you have a damn good reason to use it, I would not use an exe file. It sounds like you want to use a self-extracting zip. Do not get enamored with self-extracting executables - personally, I hate them. When I download a self-extracting exe I always end up with a bunch of loose files because nobody ever bothers to tell the downloader what's contained in the exe - or give a choice as to where to extract them.

I would use zips. People KNOW that zips contain additional files, and they have the choice of where to put them. I've had no complaints about zip files - just a very few people asking how to open them.

Another person mentioned to me that people are more apt to download PDF's instead of exe's files. Have you seen any resistence to downloading exe's verus Pdf"s.

The threat of viruses/trojans/spyware in exe's is very real. A lot of people are wary of them. But, downloading PDF's has it's own drawback because a lot of people don't realize that browsers will OPEN pdf's by default if you double-click them. You have to be very specific about telling them how to download (ie - "Right-click and "Save Target As..." or left-click to download to your computer.") Consequently, I feel the best bet is a zip file.

Once again Thank-You in advance for you help and consideration.

You're welcome - anything else??

Neil Tarvin
      ebook designer

=====================
      FREE - eBook Librarian
      http://www.ebookgraphics.com/ebooklibrarian.html
      Keep track of all the ebooks you download
      =====================
      Word eBook Templates
      http://www.ebookgraphics.com/mytemplates1.html
      Fast, easy ebook creation
      =====================

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)