Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • PDF files are NOT only for printing!

• Posted Jun 11, 2001 10:09 AM

I was a bit surprised by the column - and I totally disagree that PDF files are only good for printing.

Like you, I only read pdf files on my computer. I've never printed an ebook out - html or pdf. (I even read all of Ken Evoy's stuff on-screen.) PDF is my preferred file format for ebooks.

One thing in the article that really threw me was his comment on PDF having "no navigation bar". No, it doesn't - it has a contents column that, in many ways, is superior to a navigation bar, and the "normal" navigation of just moving from page to page works fine just by scrolling.

I agree with you, though, that the deployment of pdf files needs improvement. It's frustrating to click on a link to download and then get the pdf file starting in your browser. It's also impossible to download a pdf file directly from my email program (Eudora) - it will only open a browser window and start it there. I may start using WinZipSE to create a mini-installer for all my pdf stuff, since it will unzip the files to a specified directory AND open whatever file you designate.

I think we have to take his column in context - he is basically writing about web documents, not ebooks. I think we have created our own use of pdf that kind of bends the normal use of pdf on the web. In that sense, we've created a unique niche that was never really expected by anyone - and we certainly don't fit his "guidelines."

Neil Tarvin
      http://www.ebookgraphics.com

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement