Never Ever Again!

April 29 2002 at 6:02 PM
Lucinda 

Response to Lucinda's Marathon Diary

It’s a miracle! After 3 months of early morning and late night runs, I managed to complete the gruelling 26.2 miles of the Flora London Marathon in 4hours 14 minutes – just over 2 hours behind the leading runners but 5 days ahead of the lunatic who completed it in a 1930’s 150lb scuba diving suit!!

Apart from completing it, the best news is that once all the pennies are collected in, I have managed to raise over £6,000 for ‘Children with Leukaemia’ – the charity are over the moon!

It was without doubt the most amazing experience ever but never to be repeated I cam assure you! It may look easy for the front runner’s but by half way not even a strong drink could have numbed the pain burning in my thighs. All the supporters that lined the route including family and friends did a fantastic job of keeping me going when I could so easily have given up. I was certainly spurred on when overtaken by Mr Tickle and a bagel in the final mile!!

A massage, hot bath and a pint of shandy (anything stronger and I would have fallen over!) was very well received although it certainly didn’t prevent me wandering around work looking like a penguin for the following 3 days!

I’m now back to my best and already considering my next challenge - something a little less strenuous this time me thinks!

The tonsley trackstar is now officially retired!......

Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement