<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Messages List  

SFXB: Brave New World - Read Me!

December 7 2001 at 2:34 AM
Andy Thomas (moderator) 

With the recent growth in the number of Star Fleet Network 54 forums, I thought it was about time to find a neater solution. It's proven remarkably easy to do - so it is with great pleasure that I announce - the all new SFXB Discussion Forum!

http://www.sfxb.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi

If those of you who are regulars here will kindly try it out over the next week or so, I'll take on board suggestions and then switch all the relevant links to point at the board. At the moment, although it's functional, it's a little rough round the edges style wise - but I think you'll quickly apreciate why the change will be a plus.

Enjoy!
Andy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Simon Coverdale

What happens here?

December 7 2001, 10:05 AM 

Hello All,

So what happens here? I would suggest handing this one over to Dave & Co.

Regards,

SIMON COVERDALE

Simon Coverdale

Just a little note.

December 7 2001, 3:33 PM 

Hello Andy,

Just a little note. Would it not be a good idea to replace the "normal" text at the top of the forum with a link to the "new" forum?

Regards,

SIMON COVERDALE

Andy Thomas (moderator)

Give us half a chance!

December 7 2001, 6:17 PM 

Gawd, the new one hasn't even been up for 24 hours yet! As I mentioned above, I'd like the regulars to try it out for a week or so, and then I'll start signposting it from the site proper. If you actually look at the topics closely, you'll see that it's designed to cater for non-SFXB announcments, discussion of non-Genesis storylines, and so on. So theoretically, it becomes a one-stop shop for everything current and Star Fleety.

I'm not going to do anything radical like delete this forum, because there's a lot of history to it which it would be a shame to lose. But yes, when I'm happy that the replacement forum's OK to use, what I'll do is make sure that anyone still coming here is redirected to the new forum and probably stop the ability to post here to make it obvious what's going on. This is just a transitional thing. There's a forum on the new board for Feedback, so sign up and discuss what you'd like to see on the new board over there!

Cheers
Andy

Mark

Arrh My head

December 7 2001, 7:36 PM 

Hi guys,

andy,to many sections,otherwise good,whats the signature all about..

Mark

Forget what i said

December 7 2001, 7:39 PM 

now ive had time to look through it,it works,still needs a little help,,ill show it to makara,

ps she coming very soon,,,pictures

Andy Thomas (moderator)

It'll take a bit of getting used to...

December 7 2001, 8:20 PM 

Perhaps I ought to go into a little more detail about the new forum; I forget that some people may only be used to this one, which is as straightforward as they get. The new one is almost a standard for sites that run "on board" discussion forums.

Perhaps the most convenient part of the new one is that you log in, and then stayed log in via a cookie. So when you post, you don't have to type in your email etc - you can just get on with it! It also allows you to have a signature - so in my case, the sickeningly familiar "Cheers, Andy" is automatically added to all my posts!

The only downside is that you do need to be registered to post - so it may perhaps reduce the numbers of casual posters. However, being registered means that you can get different ranks based on number of postings (those'll become apparent!), pick an avatar for yourself (I'll see about making some Star Fleet specific ones, BTW) and so on. There's even a sort of text messaging facility built into the board!

So, yes, bit of a learning curve for all concerned - I've got to figure out to managed the thing properly after all! - but I think this'll give everybody a playground!

Cheers
Andy

Shane

Holy cow Batman!

December 8 2001, 11:39 AM 

Andy Thomas in new forum shocker! There's a lot of choice that's for sure, I guess the only problem with having all the different sub topics is that the info is not there in your face as it is on this forum. Info about other sites would have to be actively seeked out which could be achieved just by checking out the relevant site forum anyway. Plus the fact that you have to be registered, like you say yourself might put off the casual poster. I would have to admit though, there does seem to be a lot of fun and truely useful advantages of the new forum. If you can have Star Fleet related avatar's put me down for a Captain Carter. How long does it usualy take for your password to be sent to you by email when you register? I joined last night but still no email as yet.

Andy Thomas (moderator)

Success?

December 8 2001, 5:01 PM 

Looks like you're in now OK Shane - how long did the password take to come in the end? As you say, there will now be a few more sections to get through to get to updates and obviously there's nothing stopping you using your own forums - but the option's there, if you want it.

The other positive about this system, with the forum effectively broken down into headings, is that given the (relatively) small volume of posts here, even old posts on a particular subject will be quite near the top of the particular forum. So, for example, there'll be no need to "boing" video threads because they'll live in the Merchandise section, away from threads on other subjects.

If it seems that some headings just aren't getting used I'll edit the board - simple as that really. But this is why I need people's feedback...

Cheers
Andy

Shane Perry

eek.

December 8 2001, 5:37 PM 

I've revisited the new forum and I am automaticaly logged in as "shane" but I am asked to give a password when I wish to post a message, which I haven't recieved yet. It shouldn't have taken this long for the password email to be sent to me surely. Maybe I miss-typed my email address?

Andy Thomas (moderator)

Sheepish grin

December 8 2001, 7:55 PM 

This is why I needed to test it before it went live! Has anyone else who's registered not received their password? It's a configuration issue, and I'm working on it...

Cheers
Andy

Andy Thomas (moderator)

Sorted!

December 8 2001, 9:29 PM 

Nyah ha! Fixed the problem with the new board not giving out passwords automatically by email. Those who have already registered I've done a "lost password" function for - so hopefully you've now got them emailed to you! If not, let me know. I'll see what I can do about sprucing up some icons and adding new avatar images, other than that, all seems well...

Cheers
Andy

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Messages List  
Find more forums on Science FictionCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement