Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Respiratory Mask

December 29 2007 at 9:32 AM
Bess Freeman  (Login bessfreeman)

I am a new carver (10 bears, 1 knome and an eagle so far.) I do wear chaps, eye and ear protection. I think I may need to wear a dusk mask. Is this common? I carve outside, but it seems I get a cough for a few days after I am carving. FYI, I do keep my mouth shut to.

I do not have a helmet with a pull down shield. Is this a good item or just something to sell? Is a clear shield or mesh the best?

Dunka,
Bess

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
rusty
(no login)

Re: Respiratory Mask

December 29 2007, 11:07 AM 

A full blown carbon activated respirator would be wise....not just to keep wood dust out of your system (some woods are toxic to some degree) but to minimize your exposure to emissions...a known cancer causer and likely the cause to a host of other health related issues.

And whilst on the subject of emissions, if you're lucky enough to live in a country where a non-benzene alkylate fuel can be purchased, definitely use it (unfortunately, the U.S. regulatory figures don't put a premium on health).

Big bodily gashes and eye trauma are easy to identify with - immediate and painful. The silent/hidden dangers few talk about (the ones we can't see/feel as a direct result of sawing), is the stuff we take in to our systems via inhalation.

Respond to this message   
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)

Resporators

December 29 2007, 11:22 AM 

I spent years falling timber, bucking, limbing, topping trees without ever thinking about it but have recently been convinced by some microbiologist/carver type that the full resperator that his wife bought for me was not the enemy, my stubborness was. Save your lungs, even if there ain't much left of em, it's a steal for only $40.............dave

Respond to this message   
bobby28
(Login bobby28)

Re: Resporators

December 29 2007, 4:10 PM 

Hi DAVE any info on that resporators for 40.00 would be great thanks

Respond to this message   
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)

Here's the model I use

December 30 2007, 10:50 AM 

Although Jack's wife Amy just picked one up at the local True Value hardware store here's a link to one I found online. They really work! after one day of carving with one just start your saw without one and you won't believe how much your saw stinks! the two stroke oil is visible in the filter after a few days and the part I love is no more breatholding or snorkling your nose upwind, just carve and breathe, shoulda done it back in 1999 when Jack first told me what my lungs were doing.

http://nextag.com/MSA-Safety-Works-Paint-78306314/prices-html?nxtg=e6f30a1c0521-57C5DF209A043D4

Respond to this message   
rusty
(no login)

Re: Resporators

December 30 2007, 11:23 AM 

I have been using a mask similar to the one Dave linked to.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning a few observations I've made while wearing this kind of respirator: 1) the emissions seem to fill up the activated charcoal fairly quickly. They need to be changed as soon as you begin smelling the emissions again...assuming they aren't coming through a bad seal. 2) even a couple days growth of whiskers can wreck havoc on the seal to your face...at least on my face. Forget any kind of effective seal with a beard. 3) try on the mask and make sure it's the proper size and that the seal works for your particular face structure. 4) when possible, I use a fan to blow the emissions & dust away from me (I turn the sculpture so I'm always between it and the fan. Not always possible but that's what I aim for).

Respond to this message   
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)

Concur (on the change filter part)

December 30 2007, 11:46 AM 

when you put on your mask and smell saw without running a saw, it's time to replace the filters. They cost like $15 and you have a new lease on your lungs. Rusty's right about the beard thing too, I find myself shaving more often. Another plus is it keeps your nose warm in cold temps. I recently carved a hearth indoors and had to wear a scuba bottle, the mask will only clean the air so much.

Respond to this message   
Susan
(Login CCSG)

The answer...

December 29 2007, 2:25 PM 

is yes. If you are carving and plan to do it for a long time, you should take care of your lungs. For many years I though I was immune, but now find that I should have paid a little more attention to all that dust.

Get whatever you can afford and fits well enough.

Respond to this message   
mw
(no login)

if you cut seasoned wood...

December 30 2007, 2:35 PM 

Hard woods, and cedar definitely, indoor, or out. Most carving utilizes end grain cutting, which creates really fine dust. As well, you should change your clothes before going in your house. A lot of masons I know got white lung disease because they tracked the fin concrete dust in the house, and their families have respiratory problems as well. Many wood workers I know who work in hard woods, and cedars. A good air compressor, will clean you off well enough, but in cold conditions, it's easier to just cover up, and srip down to your jeans and t-shirt before going in for the nite. I've gotten sick from cedar twice, and it's not worth it. Even with respirators, I still dust off before ending the day, and I still shower right away. It gets in your eyes, and all your pours. I avoid it as much as possible as well.

Respond to this message   
mw
(no login)

THose full face lexan shields...

December 30 2007, 2:41 PM 

Are good, but hard to fit a respirator under one. THey are nice because,, although they are cumbersome, and may steam up in rainy weather, they protect you from a lot, even with eye wear, I still get dust in my eys, which is the worst thing to have to deal with when driving home, after carving all day. Tyvek makes a helmet that has a respirator fan attatchment, Baileys has them, they can run over $100, for the head gear, but you'll be able to see, and breath really easy. You can get the full suit for around $150-$200. Very ideal for carving cedar, and for spray painting.

Respond to this message   
Bess Freeman
(no login)

Re: Respiratory Mask

December 30 2007, 7:01 PM 

Thank you for all the replies. I want you all to know I do not have whiskers on my face and but I do shave my legs at least one a winter.

On another topic, there is a tree trimmer in town that wants to sell me logs. What is a fair price for pine? I am frugel.

Yet another topic, I will be in Alaska this summer by Homer and Anchorage. Any carvers up there to visit?

Thanks, this formum is a great tool. THe only other glitch I have is opening photos that have the little box with an X.

Dunka,
Bess

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild