Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

americas got talent

December 3 2009 at 9:28 PM
Bradley Ryan Sharp  (no login)

Americas got talent got ahold of me today. They want me to be on the show and asked me to submit a 90 second video of what I can do... I have already come up with something... but I want your advise... what would you do?

I appreciate your help in this. I am still not sure what to do... help me... I may represent the rest of the carving community. I don't want to make an ass of us.

Thanks,

Brad Sharp

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

steve
(Login SEABAIT)

Re: americas got talent

December 3 2009, 9:36 PM 

90 sec quick carve;).

Respond to this message   

buzzsawz
(Login buzzsawz)

December 3 2009, 9:43 PM 

carve (AMERICAS GOT TALENT) in wood with a big scary saw

Respond to this message   
sawptician
(no login)

December 3 2009, 9:45 PM 

tune 8 saws for each key and play the star spangled banner.

Respond to this message   
Eric Berson
(no login)

Brad

December 3 2009, 10:55 PM 

WOW!! 90 seconds isn't very long even for the fastest gun in the west....I know you could bust out a bear but it might be more impressive if you did a rose or butterfly or something that is not the standard chainsaw carving. geeez, sometimes it takes me 90 seconds just to get my saw started..lol
Good Luck Brad!!!

Eric

Respond to this message   
Tone
(no login)

:-)

December 3 2009, 11:33 PM 

Do it naturaly..

Respond to this message   
Ken Braun Colorado
(no login)

carvings

December 3 2009, 11:47 PM 

Brad you should do a mushroom, tree with rock and roots, butterfly, hummingbird, an owl can be done in 90 seconds. You can make a stool, chair, foot rest, walking cane with an eagle head on it. Keep the saws hot and the torch a running. Splash some finish on it at the end like a mad painter.

Respond to this message   
rick woodward
(no login)

December 4 2009, 5:38 AM 

Brad, i've long respected you and your work, you make a good representative of chainsaw carving. If you have the ability to edit a video, i would start with a log your going to carve, then go to roughing out, then refining, then the finishing carve, then putting on some finish. The way i read your post they are looking for a brief summary of what you can do. Not a 90 second segment. I'm guessing this summary will be shown to a committee for approval. It will be great to see you going at it on national TV. I dont watch America's got Talent, so be sure to post when it will air. Absolute best to you in this venture and all things in life. rick woodward

Respond to this message   
Mike Murray
(no login)

December 4 2009, 8:54 AM 

Sometimes it takes me more then 90 seconds to just start a saw. Carve another head for the Hoff, it would probably be more intellagent....lol

Respond to this message   
Backwater Bob
(Login Backwater-Bob)

Read somewher that in england...

December 4 2009, 9:10 AM 

That they asked for the same thing from some chainsaw carvers. They just wanted to get free filler clips and wanted to make fun of the carver. Wish I could find the post?

Just make sure it is something they can't make look silly.

Maybe I'm wrong? Those brit programs are brutal.

Bob

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Re: Read somewher that in england...

December 4 2009, 9:46 AM 

Respond to this message   
Cliff
(no login)

Sorry

December 4 2009, 9:48 AM 

that was me posting the link to the other show.

Respond to this message   

Don Winner
(Login cedarsavage)

December 4 2009, 10:03 AM 

If Michael Blaine can carve a bear in less than 2 min.
I'm sure you can too !!!

Happy Sfe Carving !!!

don...

Respond to this message   
brian
(no login)

December 4 2009, 10:45 AM 

Jen got the same call a couple weeks ago when they were auditioning in Ney York and we decided there was no way it would be fruitful.
Just a wasted day for a possible clip on the show.
However if anyone could pull ths off it would be you Mr. Sharp.
If you run out of ideas Brad give me a call
1 888 chainsaw

Respond to this message   
Squirrel
(no login)

Carve

December 4 2009, 11:57 AM 

Bob Kings phone number! (hehehe)

Respond to this message   
Squirrel
(no login)

Go in with a heavily plunged log

December 4 2009, 12:01 PM 

Then execute 3-4 releasing cuts that result in several pieces falling off at a time. This way a larger carving could be done in a short time with some prep. Perhaps something extremely simplified like a feather or key etc...

Respond to this message   
Mick
(no login)

No Talent

December 4 2009, 1:17 PM 

Been through this one in the UK.
Been on stage in front of cowell and his cronies in 2008.
I did it because I would have been pissed off if they'd got someone else to do it and they managed to get good publicity. I didn't think it would work on stage when I was first approached and told the gopher on the phone as much when I was first called.
Turned up for the first demo/audition and carved a shell in about eight minutes, which they video-ed. But I was only given that chance at the very end of a long day during which time I was part of the crowd of wannabees that was herded around, paraded, made to cheer, wave etc. and urged to behave as hysterically as they camera crews (of which there are several, all looking like kids fresh off a college media course)could possibly make them.
Seemed at that point, they had already decided that as long as I could actually use the saw, I was in on the first round.
Later in the year I was summoned to the theatre and put through much the same shit as first time only this time there were even more camera crews interviewing me and the other candidates at every turn (I remember being interviewed about six times before actually getting on to the stage).
I had all my kit to do the demo piled on a tarpaulin that the stage crew were to pull on when I stood up to the judges. I had the shell down to about 5 minutes by making a load of pre cuts in the log that could be removed very quickly. I had an example of a finished shell to show what I was trying to achieve. Needn't have bothered. When it all dragged on stage along with me (no I wasn't dragged) the sample shell had mysteriously disappeared even though I'd put it there 15mins before. The audience loved me (2000 of them) I got in a few quips and exchanged a bit of banter with the judges whilst playing to the audience. Then I had to get down to the demo. Started the saw and went at it like a fury. Lasted 1 minute before I got the three horns. The audience were booing the judges so loudly I could barely hear what they were saying, they couldn't hear me.
Left the stage and was interviewed another couple of times then escaped and went home.
Two very long days where I could have been earning money working through my order book wasted.
Out of all this I got 20 seconds on national tv portrayed as some weird chainsaw wielding wannabe desperate for tv fame. Needless to say it led to nothing.
My other appearances on national tv and radio in a serious light have indeed led to some work.

On reflection, it was as I had originally suspected, I was just a court jester type filler act. There was no way I was going to be promoted by their company because there was no way I could actually be owned by them. Also, there was no way I was going to be given any meaningfull air time in which to promote myself.
It was fun to do, but definately not to be regarded as a serious medium for the promotion of chainsaw carving or a chainsaw carver.
simon cowells very words " It's noisy, it's dirty and it wouldn't work in the Albert Hall", just as I told the gopher when first phoned about appearing.
By the way. When being interviewed there is no way you are allowed to say "you asked me to be here" on camera.

So stand up Brad and be prepared to look stupid on national tv. They do all the editing.

Good luck
Cheers
mick

Respond to this message   
Dave Tremko
(Login AleutArtist)

The Leno gig never sold me a single bear

December 4 2009, 5:23 PM 

But knock em dead brad you can't not try.....d

Respond to this message   
Tone
(no login)

Leno Memo

December 4 2009, 5:57 PM 

Dave , I'd like to see that clip again... I can almost smell the cedar on yar breath !

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

Portfolio

December 5 2009, 11:28 AM 

I'd send them a 90 second portfolio rather than trying to carve something in 90 seconds. Toss in a few seconds of big chunks falling off as you carve.

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild