Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Echo CS-310 problems

October 5 2010 at 1:37 AM
SteveS78  (Login SteveS78)

Was wondering if anyone could help me. I just recently purchased an Echo CS-310 and it ran like a top for several weeks but now when I try to use it it surges real bad. I can have it full blast and it will die down to where the chain stops then slowly revs back up to full blast over and over. The part that is confusing me is that sometimes it will run fine after refueling but sometimes not or just have spurts where it will run fine for a little while. I know for sure the mix is correct. Could it be bad gas or the plug? The saw is under warranty but hate to take it in if it's a simple fix. If anyone has had this problem please help! Thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
bill b
(no login)

Re: Echo CS-310 problems

October 5 2010, 2:21 AM 

pull your screen on your muffler spark arrester pluged!

Respond to this message   
Barre Pinske
(no login)

Saw problem

October 5 2010, 7:11 AM 

Sounds to me more like an air lock. Air needs to get in the tank to replace the fuel that is going out. They don't make a big hole because it will leak there are a number of ways it works I'm not sure on your saw. If it is running lean crack the gas cap and see if it will take off then. If it dose it is the problem. Then you need to track down how it is suppose to work.

It could be a crack in the boot that connects the carb to the saw but that would have fried your saw by running lean from too much air rather than starving the gas off.

Please let us know what was wrong.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

Re: Saw problem

October 5 2010, 9:54 AM 

Doesn't sound like the screen to me since it's reaching "full blast". I agree with Barre that you either have a plugged tank vent or an air leak in the carb circuit.

Respond to this message   

john willliams
(Login bigjohn1895)

October 5 2010, 10:37 AM 

take it in to an echo dealer there fussy about there warranty also make sure its back to stock before hand
if they see carving parts they will void your warranty
with that said if it is not what berre said then its a collapsed fuel line the ethanol gas mix messes with the fuel lines it kinda melts them

Respond to this message   
Ron Kane
(no login)

October 5 2010, 12:11 PM 

John's right, they don't warranty anything if you alter the original stock model. My Echo dealer said that they wouldn't warranty my saw because it had a 1/4" drive sprocket and a carving bar. That why I run Jonsered and Husky's now.

Respond to this message   
SteveS78
(Login SteveS78)

October 5 2010, 3:11 PM 

Thank you guys for the help, I'm currently looking into the fuel tank vent to see if it is plugged. I pulled up a diagram but I can't seem to find where it is. I see you can order the part and the picture of it shows a barb on the end where a hose plugs into it much like the fuel filter. I keep the saw pretty clean but went ahead cleaned the whole saw earlier, blowing it all out and using a brush to loosen any debris. Of course the saw isn't acting up yet today but have not run it very much so that makes it harder to diagnose the problem.. Checked all the lines and the screen in the muffler and those all seem to be fine. I figured those where easy enough to check and should be checked from time to time anyway.

Also I appreciate the heads up about the warranty. I would have not thought that carving bars and sprockets would have made a difference as far as the warranty goes especially since Echo is such a big promoter of chainsaw carving. But I guess just like any other company, blaming the problems on a non stock component is an easy way out.

As soon as I figure out the problem I will post it for others.

Thanks again for the help!

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

October 6 2010, 10:54 AM 

"John's right, they don't warranty anything if you alter the original stock model. My Echo dealer said that they wouldn't warranty my saw because it had a 1/4" drive sprocket and a carving bar."

AMAZING! I started with Echo saws but the local dealer 'convinced me' to use Stihl instead. He was very convincing...

The Stihl dealer delivers new saws to me with the 1/4 pitch sprocket already installed!

Respond to this message   
SteveS78
(Login SteveS78)

October 6 2010, 11:54 AM 

WOW! I might have to look into that. Have you been happy with the Stihl saws for carving? The price has always scared me off.

Respond to this message   

Butch Elrod
(Login WoodHacker)

October 7 2010, 12:12 AM 

Sure, I'm very happy with my Stihl saws. I have several Stihls and one Husqvarna which seems to be a very good saw as well.

Respond to this message   

Desiree
(Login SheWearsChaps)

Echo will not get another penny from me!

October 7 2010, 6:14 PM 

I have used Echo saws since I started using saws (about 5 years now) because of the price. Stihl was just too much for me as I was not carving at the time, just cutting brush and such. When I started carving a year ago May, I bought an Echo CS 306. Within the first 4 months it was in the repair shop 6 times. The next to last time it was in, the oiler needed replaced. In a saw less than 4 months old. Of course, my Echo dealer knows that Chaz and I carve, so the warranty was cut from 5 years to 1 year. After the sixth repair, Echo replaced the saw with a CS 310 as it was discovered that a design flaw in the 306 was causing my problems. I really liked my 310 for about 6 months. Then I started having issues with it, one after the other. 3 weeks after the one year warranty ran out, the saw died. The clutch brake had mysteriously engaged itself and then wouldn't disengage. Which ruined the clutch and melted the entire assembly. They wanted $115 to replace it ... on a $200 saw. I told them to throw it away. In the meantime, I had purchased a CS 370 at the end of September last year. It too was in the shop several times. In June it started not wanting to run at all after the first tank of fuel. I took it to the shop 4 times and was told there was nothing wrong with it. So the 5th time, I threw a fit. They replaced the carb. .... on a saw less than a year old. Seeing a pattern? So ... when the new carb. didn't fix it, I got really mad. I took it to a different dealer and didn't tell him I was a carver. He promised to fix it. He called a few days later and said that he couldn't fix it, so had sent it off to Echo. They had tested it and it was at 50% compression due to caking of oil on the engine. The oil tested was canola (yes, I use canola and yes I clean my saw daily). So .... they wouldn't warranty the saw for even one year. I told them to pitch it and that I would never spend another penny on an Echo. I now use a Stihl MS 170 and love everything about it. I wouldn't buy another Echo if it was the last saw on Earth. Go Stihl!
Now ... I have been told that my opinion in this matter is perhaps unwarranted and/or overreacting. That could be true .... but I was burned twice, they won't get a third chance. So, take my OPINION for what it is. (And go buy a Stihl) happy.gif

Desiree
http://www.chainsawfest.webs.com/

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login SteveS78)

Re: Echo will not get another penny from me!

October 8 2010, 1:18 AM 

Thanks Desiree, to me all opinions have value. Since I am fairly new to carving I like to hear what works for other carvers and what doesn't. I bought echo because it was cheap and also widely used in carving. I must have got a saw that was built on a Monday or a Friday...lol. I strayed from Stihl because I know a couple people that bought new ones and had them in the shop several times the first year. But I also do not know how they were treated. Hopefully my echo will hold out for awhile anyways. At least till spring. What Stihl saws are the best for carving?

Thanks again for your input!

Respond to this message   
LISAW!!!!!!
(Login She-Saws-It)

Good Luck

October 7 2010, 10:05 PM 

That's why I like Huskys!!!!!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild