Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Husqvarna 550xp

August 27 2012 at 12:00 AM
Danczyk  (no login)

I was over at arboristsite.com checking out some reviews on the new Husky. Looks like a game changer in the 50cc saw class. I will be picking one up on this coming wed. Does anyone here have any input on it yet? I wanted to replace my 357 with a 562xp but with all the raves over the 550, I may save the coin for a while.

Chad

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Erv
(no login)

Re: Husqvarna 550xp

August 27 2012, 6:06 PM 

I bought the 562xp to replace a 357 and have been well satisfied. It's only a little over a pound heavier than the 550 with alot more power and comes stock with a 3/8 sprocket. I'm running lopro chain on a 20" bar. Specs can be compared here:http://www.husqvarna.com/us/products/professional-chainsaws/compare-proffesional-chainsaws/?nid=502135,502061

Respond to this message   
Danczyk
(no login)

August 27 2012, 8:22 PM 

Yeah, I had my eye on that 562xp since the news came out about it. I do most of my blocking and minor detail with a 346xp and couldn't pass up the 550xp. I use my 357xp a bit for blocking but also have a 372 and a 394 for the big stuff. I would have liked the 562 alot more if it had the small mount. Jonsereds version of the 562 will be the 2260 and that is suppose to have the small mount. My wife is really getting sick of me saying I need another saw!!

Respond to this message   
Kevin Treat
(no login)

August 28 2012, 12:46 AM 

Just acquired my 562 after a week long fair gig and struck a deal with the Husky dealer on the final day for a carving and some coin which made it much more affordable.

I have had a 346xp for approx 4 yrs and kept the .325 on it for my block out work and cutting firewood for a month or two each year. It is my intention to dedicate the 562 to carving.

Erv, my 562 came with a 3/8 rim drive instead of a sprocket. It's my understanding that a low pro chain requires a low pro sprocket and/or rim drive which has a shorter slot for the chain drive link. I would also like to run low pro with perhaps a 20" toonie. What's your experience with running low pro on the factory supplied 3/8 drive?

Helpful thoughts appreciated.

Respond to this message   
Danczyk
(no login)

August 28 2012, 7:31 AM 

Kevin, I used to run the lo-pro 3/8 chain on my 346 with the regular 3/8 rim. Never had any grief. Now I have a 1/4 pitch rim and chain with a 16" quarter tip, really love this set-up. I think where the problem is when you run the lo-pro over a 3/8 regular sprocket tip bar? This topic has been discussed over at arboristsite.com a number of different times. Some guys swear they never have any problems and others say, dont do it.

Chad

Respond to this message   
Erv
(no login)

August 28 2012, 7:45 AM 

I'm using the factory sprocket, no problems. I use mine as a block out saw, so the large bar mount is fine, but the 550 with the small mount would be a better choice for any kind of carving bar set up.

Respond to this message   
Danczyk
(no login)

August 28 2012, 8:22 AM 

With just under a 2 pound difference, the 550 will fit in my stable perfect vs the 562. I had to really talk myself out of the 562 at first. It was one of those, "do I need it, or do I want it" things. Cant wait to pick it up tomorrow and get some trigger time on it. Down the road I will probably have a 562 but just not this time. Unless I get a deal like Kevin with some scupture swapping!

Respond to this message   
Erv
(no login)

August 28 2012, 1:07 PM 

Your 372 will do you right as a substitute.

Respond to this message   
Danczyk
(no login)

August 28 2012, 1:23 PM 

Hell yeah!! The 372 is my baby, I wouldn't trade her off. That saw has a special place with me.

I've heard the new "5" series saws are sippers instead of drinkers as far as gas goes.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Husqvarna 550xp
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild