Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Stiff chain syndrome

March 16 2017 at 5:00 PM
Uncle Festor  (Login michaeljburns)

For all those budding carvers despairing with their ever stiffening chains.
I hope this helps.

http://www.chainsawsculpture.co.uk/otherinfo/stiff%20chain%20syndrome/stiffchainsyndrome.html

Hope the Rendezvous is going well. All the best to everyone there.
Cheers
Mick

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Uncle festor
(Login michaeljburns)

Stiff chain syndrome

March 16 2017, 5:57 PM 

I see it was 2008 when the problem was last mentioned on this forum under it's proper heading. Been lots of questions from various folks since who are obviously still having the problem.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/118564/thread/1202246188/Stiff+chain+syndrome

I see over the years, no-one has dared to offer a fix for the problem. There must be countless tonnes of carving chains and bars discarded every year just because of this problem (especially given the number of new chainsaw carvers coming on board each year).
I know it is a bit of an invisible problem because a lot of carvers regard bars and chains as totally disposable items after completing a job (it's costed in on the contract). However, You can extend the life of these bits of kit with a bit of TLC. In this way we can reduce our draw on our poor mother earth who has to supply the minerals and the energy to process them at our ultimate expense.
Please take note.
Cheers
Mick

Respond to this message   
Uncle festor
(Login michaeljburns)

I forgot to say

March 16 2017, 6:12 PM 

Bollocks to facebook and the sad sods who have to have their constant fix from their social clique. They are
denying all of us old farts, who are aspiring hermits, our only update on the real world without us having to read about weddings and dogs farting and other peoples holidays.
Post to a forum and anyone can take it or leave it, we hermits, value your postings enormously.

I see, with great approval that there appears to be a spell check on this forum now....

Cheers
Mick

Respond to this message   

Hats
(Login wearsmanyhats)

well done

March 16 2017, 7:47 PM 

Nice article, Mick. A right scholarly summation of the causes and effects. I find the cure interesting, must try it some time.

Respond to this message   
Uncle Festor
(Login michaeljburns)

The cure

March 16 2017, 8:34 PM 

Tapping ones rivets for a looser experience??

Love you Hats

Respond to this message   
Carverdude
(no login)

Re: The cure

March 17 2017, 9:49 AM 

Hey Mick,!
I was wondering about you, good info im somewhat of a minimalist and try to hang on to my favorite tools long possible these days. And I agree about facebook, I use it only for keeping in touch with PFA-s (people from away!)

Respond to this message   
Sideshow Pete
(no login)

Re: The cure

March 17 2017, 10:43 AM 

Heck Mick, that was a long read. I skipped a few paragraphs but I will try a punch in the rivets to cure stiffness. I recall seeing you bending tight chains to loosen them up.

I agree with you about Faceache and I'm still a virgin but it is a fantastic marketing tool for those that use it.

Saw ya
P

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild