Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

painting your carving?

March 20 2017 at 11:19 AM
joe  (Login jbusch)

Hi Guys, I am carving Olaf the Snowman for my girls. I have not put any paint on a carving yet so a little lost on the process of painting and sealing a carving. My plan right now is just to use the old rattle can and stick with rustoleum products for this. I am lost on the process of this though. I would assume I have to seal this piece at one point but do not know.. Do you guys use product under or over the paint? or just use paint alone??

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew
(Login stuckinthemud1)

Re: painting your carving?

March 21 2017, 9:55 AM 

I've had good results with acrylics

Respond to this message   
joe
(Login jbusch)

finish

March 21 2017, 11:43 AM 

Thanks Andrew, are you just brushing the acrylics or do you use a spray? More of my concern is sealing the paint. Do you need to apply any specific finish over the acrylics or just leave as is once painted?
I have little experience with using acrylics on the brush. I have done a lot of work with spray paints so have confidence in it. That was my reason for going that direction.

Respond to this message   
Andrew
(Login stuckinthemud1)

Re: finish

March 21 2017, 1:41 PM 

I used brushes but spray is fine. You can seal it with a water based varnish but acrylic is pretty durable, I painted a dragon carved in field maple 20 years ago and it still looks great despite being outdoors for at least 15 of those years. I did carve and paint a red dragon in lime (basswood), the carving survived a decade in the garden before it rotted out but the paint lasted longer than the carving. I think I bored out the pith and the hole wasn't fully sealed and allowed the rot to take hold

Respond to this message   
Joe
(Login jbusch)

Acrylic

March 21 2017, 4:20 PM 

Thanks Andrew, I appreciate the response. I did not know that paint would hold up so well. Good to hear.

Respond to this message   
Rick
(no login)

Re: Acrylic

March 23 2017, 12:57 AM 

Another method is burn, brush, blow it off. Seal it with a water based wood protectant. Then for Olof you can use kill or 12 year white exterior latex.

Respond to this message   
joe
(Login jbusch)

Olaf

March 23 2017, 10:46 AM 

I ended up spraying this one all white and then used acrylic black and orange for the mouth, nose, ect.. I had a pile of old white spray paint so was happy to use it up.

I think the next time I will go your route Rick and use the exterior. Brushing the white would have been much quicker. Either way my little girls love there snowman.

I have to make the hair and arms yet. Was thinking about making synthetic branches that I can bend for this?? So doing some research now. Sure would like to learn how to do it for future carvings. If anyone has ever attempted this I would like to hear how.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Rick
(no login)

Re: Olaf

March 24 2017, 2:50 PM 

I bet the kids are

Happy!!

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild