Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

looking for some wood carving tips as beginner

March 21 2017 at 12:15 PM
DJ abdullah  (Login abdullah58)

I am a newbie and looking for some wood carving tips as a beginner.

is there anyone who guide me?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew
(Login stuckinthemud1)

Re: looking for some wood carving tips as beginner

March 21 2017, 1:52 PM 

That's an awfully big question. Read and research as much as you can. Ask lots of questions. Find out what you like to carve and just carve. The old phrase is still true. Would-be wood carvers would be wood carvers if they would carve wood 😀 buy ready honed, good quality tools and keep them really sharp. The hardest part of carving is learning to sharpen tools, and life is much easier if you are maintaining an edge instead of sharpening a blunt one. Find a club, class or teacher, you will learn a years worth of experience in one lesson.

Respond to this message   
ROOSTER
(Login jay.kay)

more specific please

March 21 2017, 7:31 PM 

Are we talking about "hand" "wood carving" or are we talking "chainsaw" "wood carving"

Respond to this message   
Andrew
(Login stuckinthemud1)

Re: more specific please

March 22 2017, 6:22 AM 

Doesn't really make any difference, sharp chain is as important as sharp knife. Good teaching saves months of trial and error. I couldn't find a teacher or club so I taught myself. Books and magazines and the internet can teach you everything you need, it just takes longer.

Where are you based?

Respond to this message   
Rick
(no login)

Re: more specific please

March 23 2017, 12:53 AM 

Hit the search bar in the top right of this page Abdullah. Sharp tools are important, but you got to make a successful carving right? Draw off of photo references till you know the anatomy of the subject very well. You won't burn as much gas or have to sharpen so any times. Lol

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild