Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Whats the Deal?

March 29 2017 at 12:19 PM

Steve Backus  (Login flashbackus)

Good morning fellow earthlings, hows it going today? I have been thinking much on shows and contests and competitions and all the effort and motivation that is required to make it happen. The steep learning curve that one must undergo to get a bunch of chainsaw carvers to land on a piece of ground,from the passion that one must possess to continue when every indicator available, from the family begging you to STOP! to the Bank collecting overdraft charges and worst of all some of the carvers not even pulling your pants up when they are done!

What some carvers will take advantage of without blinking should be a cause for embarrassment. I say this from experience because It has been my great misfortune to witness this seamy underbelly of human nature.

One of my most vivid recollections of this behavior was at the Westport contest it was the first year Echo gave money and product to competitions. The year was 2002 and we had lots of perks to hand out. We had a table set up and Princess NoNo was giving tee-shirts and a gallon of bar oil to the carvers. A line formed and apparently was not moving fast enough for some and they just went up and grabbed a shirt and bar oil bypassing the overworked princess NoNo. The rush was on and she got cleaned out, you could hear the squealing and Rooting from far away {figuratively speaking of course} we knew everyone, but their seemed this sense of entitlement. It sucked, but I forgive easily, but seldom forget.

So, whats the deal? why this taker not giver attitude? they show up knowing the deal. would it be fair to say that some are ignorant but teachable on these simple matters? but I digress.

Another way that carvers "Stick It" to the man, or woman as the case may be is this, They show up to an event that is based on the auction. The wood is provided, the carver is to put the carving made out of the wood from the show into the auction.

Seems simple enough. That's the deal Right?

Anything less is pretty much stealing from the show, which is based on the auction, thus undermining the shows ability to pay for everything and make a paycheck for those who go through the effort to put it on. Seems simple enough right?

Many carvers do very well at these shows and sell their carvings for good prices and often get cleaned out of inventory. A very good problem to have so why would some screw it up for the rest of us by making carvings out of the shows wood, wood that is not easy or cheap to obtain and transport and handle then clean up the mess.

Sometimes their is a split, sometimes their is not, either way the deal is the deal.

Last year at my Ocean shores carving event I had a carver that I have known for twenty years block out two six foot seahorses out of the shows wood {nice redwood} and load them in his trailer, I spotted him doing it, he spotted me spotting him doing it. I made a mental note on this unsportsmanlike behavior and was considering how to approach the subject in the future so as to not be a cop and being forced into having rules to police, that sucks! on the last day when we were done and at the Mexican restaurant for dinner he said I got a couple of seahorses I blocked out of your wood, I replied with a smile, yes I know.

Do you think he would have said anything if he had not spotted me spotting him?

What has worked out here with the honest carvers is if they sell a carving before the auction they split the money with the show,it works great with the honest carvers, they dont have to avoid eye contact with you or load up quick and leave, not a bad way.

Here is my question on this subject because it must of happened at Ridgway. I cannot imagine it did not.

How many carvers made a really great carving to showcase their talents and get the boot lickers all worked up? more then a few I suppose.

How many carvers sold their carvings without putting them in the auction and substituted a little bear or some other carving worth far less thus costing the show money?

For the costs of putting a show on, is it worth it to have them back?

Without naming individuals what would an educated guess be at those that sold and substituted at
Ridgway this year?

4 or 5

5 or 10

more then 10

To be honest, I have done it myself so I am not without sin.....

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Rick
(no login)

Re: Whats the Deal?

April 7 2017, 7:36 AM 

Let those without sin, throw the first stone. Yes, I'm semi guilty also.
Every truth recognized, allows that there are multiple truths on many issues.
Ever get invited to a show to help it look like a show for the promoters interest?
Then there's no people, and no sales? The mortgage and child support don't care.
Some inexperienced organizers, don't do the advertising, run a terrible auction, can't move logs. Etc. and pretty much make it clear they are doing the carver a big favor. Others do a great job with diligence and effort. Still rain, heat or competing attractions hurt the show.
That's a good time to watch each other's backs. And push for the best outcome for all.

Respond to this message   
joe king
(no login)

Re: Whats the Deal?

April 7 2017, 9:58 AM 

The Rendezvous is kind of an anomaly as far as shows go and it's my guess that's why they avoid this forum these days because of questions like that (trouble maker..!) I think it's more of an issue for carvers that go there on a shoe string as it is, of course, a slow time of year (business wise) Personally, i always spent a good long day making something nice for the auction then the rest of the days were mine, plain & simple. I also think anybody who plans on putting in a 3 day carving might be a wee bit unrealistic? But for the last few years we've been heading south this time of year so it really doesn't matter what i think eh? happy.gif

On another note el'Stevebo, everybody at our little post office calls me fundog now from your postcards so thanks for that! and keep em coming!

Respond to this message   

Steve Backus
(Login flashbackus)

sinners can do great things

April 7 2017, 11:42 AM 

Ridgway is a long established event with a clearly established way of doing things and the "deal is the deal" is what I am talking about, if it don't benefit a carver then don't go and many don't {self weeding garden} it is no secret what the deal is!
don't take a big creamer log if it aint headed for the auction, bring your own, leave the shows wood alone and let that wood be used for its stated purpose, I speak from the high hill of experience of busting my ass to get a load of wood to a carving location, and in doing so appreciate the effort involved.

As for the shoe-string guys and gals been there done that! some times without shoes to put a shoe-string into, but because of the supreme effort of the Bonis and company they have developed the Ridgway phenomenon in which most carvers that come prepared sell a lot of chainsaw carvings.

What would the amount of carvings sold at ridgway during the events run be?

100's 1000's 10,000's

why do these opportunity's exist, because the show exists, the show exists because most carvers honer the deal.

I subscribe to Joes method of participating by doing a reasonable carving then enjoying myself, just a big fundog myself.

Rick had some great points as well but I gotta go carve a stump to pay the bills, more later.....

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild