Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Selling carvings at a commission shop?

April 4 2017 at 1:25 PM
Joe  (Login jbusch)

Hi guys, I am in uncharted waters here. I have a guy that would like to sell/show a couple of my carvings at a retail location. I would love any information on the do's and don'ts..

I am more worried about the paperwork than anything. The % and sale price we will work out but want to make sure I protect my property in this transaction and don't miss any suggested steps and have issues in the process that a rookie carver could avoid.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Brian Harnett
(Login Brianharnett)

Re: Selling carvings at a commission shop?

April 5 2017, 10:35 AM 

Lots of factors here I do a few consignment accounts but I have had some that were disasters and I had to chase after my stuff after they went under.

Best is to sell wholesale, you get your money and don't have to deal with it.

Make a good inventory list with the percentage agreement signed off, the inventory part is important to keep up on if doing consignment.

Start small, consignment is really based on trust.

Respond to this message   
joe king
(no login)

Re: Selling carvings at a commission shop?

April 6 2017, 8:51 AM 

Brian is correct it's mostly based on trust. Start small, most retailer's have a paper you'll both sign so that part is easy. If your carvings do well then they'll want to take care of you to keep them moving. Lots of people got started this way and just felt there way along, all part of the journey ..!

Respond to this message   
Joe
(Login jbusch)

Thanks

April 6 2017, 10:17 AM 

Thank you for the reply's. I appreciate it. I have a few ready to go and excited to see what people think.. These carvings just sit in my garage right now so wanted to get them someplace with lots of foot traffic where people can at least see and enjoy. If they sell it will be a bonus for me right now.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild