Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

still vs. husqvarna battery powered saws

April 9 2017 at 7:22 PM
Travis  (Login whitehillscarvingco)

Im looking to pick up a new battery powered saw. I have spoke to a few people who have them and most have preferred the husqvarna over the stihl. What saws do you guys recommend and why? Any input is greatly appreciated! Im leaning towards the husky but they also have a few different battery powered models.. the 536Li XP... the 120i.. the 136Li.. not sure what the differences are with these saws. Thanks in advance!

Travis

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kelly D
(Login MacboyCanada)

Re: still vs. husqvarna battery powered saws

April 17 2017, 11:09 PM 

I went with the Stihl MSA200. I'm not brand loyal BUT there's nothing but Stihl in my shop. For the simple thought that if I ever needed to scab a part to keep a saw running I'd have it.

That said, I went with the Stihl over the Husky because the Husky equivalent setup would have cost me a couple hundred more. I thought in it was just over $900 Canadian for the saw, two batteries and the fast charger. I can run non stop with the setup. Run time is about 30 min per battery, charge time is about 30 min. I do wait with freshly spent batteries before putting them on the charger though - they get warm when you discharge them. They don't seem to hear up during charging.

I went with the 200 over the 160 solely for the variable speed trigger. I love it so much I think I'm going to pick up another. And one more battery. I'm running a 14" dime on it and an 8" dime on the little 120 which has proven itself surprisingly great for detail carving. Super light weight and nimble. Good chain speed, just not a lot for torque.

Respond to this message   
Jim S
(no login)

April 18 2017, 12:23 PM 

Kelly - You mentioned that you have all Stihl saws and say you have a 120 with an 8' bar on it. Is this a misprint of some sort? I don't see Stihl with a 120.

Respond to this message   
Kelly D
(Login MacboyCanada)

April 19 2017, 6:40 PM 

No misprint at all. Still has come out with a homeowner, light duty lineup of tools that all share the same battery. There's a hedge trimmer, weed eater, blower etc...and a little chainsaw. It's a 120, already 1/4 pitch form the factory and actually (surprisingly) has a real nice high chain speed. With the 8" cannon dime tip on it it's a seriously lightweight detail tool. I imagine the longer you go with the bar, the less oomph (and battery life) you'l have but for the little up close stuff it's fantastic. And the saw body is quite long so you really have fine control.

Now, as a homeowner if I'd bought it to clear some brush I might be disappointed - much more than 2" which and I bet you'd start bogging down. I fact I question the video a bit.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589kVyEQM7U

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild