Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

To glue or not to glue?

April 19 2017 at 6:50 PM
Kelly D  (Login MacboyCanada)

I'll try to explain as best as I can here but the basic question is should I glue or not (gorilla glue).

I'm ready to assemble the bench I'm delivering in a couple of weeks. What I've done is taken a 3' log and cut it in half leaving 6" thick full rounds on an end of each - so I basically cut a 90 degree zig zag through the log. The result is two L shaped end posts. I then mortised the main log down by cutting half circles up into the log to the depth I needed to get the seat height just right. It's time to assemble this and I was going to just zip a half dozen timber locks up from the bottom, through the end post slab and into the mortised out bench each log. I've sealed each piece separately with spar already. Didn't want to take any chances on voids where rot could develop...I've got this black mold thing going on in a lot of my wood when left untreated.

Should I glue and screw or just screw it?

There are drainage channels and drip areas cut into all necessary points so the aforementioned rot pools should not form.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
joe
(Login jbusch)

glue

April 20 2017, 11:01 AM 

Hi Kelly, I don't see where the glue would hurt at all... I just don't know how heavy I would go with it. If I am reading the description right I believe it would look better seeing the seam clean (no visible glue)where your pieces join. Especially because you already have the spar on. Are you worried about water getting into the void area where the pieces join. The exposed areas should breath well enough to not have to worry about that crud. But I could see where some saw dust and gorilla glue might help fill void areas that cannot be seen where the pieces join anyways. I am no expert at this but see your concern.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild