Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

one year in!!!!

April 21 2017 at 9:54 AM
joe  (Login jbusch)

A year ago today I ordered my 1st carving bar. Not the most exciting thing to most people but sure some of you understand my excitement. I want to thank everyone here that has put up information, pictures and advise. I have learned a lot in the last year just from this kind of information. I call myself self taught but with help via the web from other carvers..

I recently started watching some of the seminars at Ridgway. There is something to learn from every one of those videos. Very cool that you guys share the videos and stand up to speak at these events.

I have posted a few of my carvings on the forum here and will continue in the next year. I have a lot of new goals and hope to show improvements through the photos. I carved up the last couple pieced of oak I had laying around this last month and hope to collect some larger pieces of wood this weekend. Will see what we can make out of them. Spring is here in Minnesota and its time to get busy. I wish you all a great summer and hope one here I day pay back to the carving community and help someone else.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
champsaw
(Login champsaw_art)

Re: one year in!!!!

April 21 2017, 11:02 PM 

Nice craftsmanship, Joe. I am also self-taught and have about a year and half in the game.

Your work has a nice clean and smooth look to it. You constructed the bases of the bear and moose with sharp lines, which is a good look. I tend to spend little time on my bases and just sort of chop them out.

I really like the hawks. Also, did you burn/stain the darks on the fish or was that part of the natural shades of the wood?

Respond to this message   
joe
(Login jbusch)

burning

April 27 2017, 12:18 PM 

Thanks Dave, I used the torch for all the color on the carvings in here. With the musky I would burn lightly and sand to get the top and sides colored. I taped the belly line with regular blue painters tape to keep the ash and burn off that area while I worked on it. Then I made stencils for the spots on the musky. I made 6 different patterns out of aluminum that fit tight to the carving with 4-6 dots cut out in each. This way I could flip them upside down and in reverse to get multiple patters and work out good sharp burnt edges. Then sand them to the right tone. It ended up turning out pretty cool. Thanks for asking.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild