Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

The big trailer is gone

May 4 2017 at 1:38 PM
Indy  (Login D.R.)

Sold it on crags list. Sorry a carver didn't get it. I tried.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lonnie
(no login)

Re: The big trailer is gone

May 5 2017, 3:55 PM 

pretty big boots to fill with that trailer

Respond to this message   
Indy
(Login D.R.)

I dont know

May 5 2017, 9:05 PM 

nah not really Lon. Anyone can make good returns at this if you don't price your self right out of business. Remember the little man is what makes a company big. So carve for the little guy. I'd rather carve 4 - 100$ bears then 1 - 400$ bear. Reason being, if you sale to four customers, the return business and referrals from them is much greater then from one high dollar customer. IMOP

Respond to this message   
joe king
(no login)

Re: I dont know

May 6 2017, 10:35 AM 

So let's see, you'll need to make somewhere between 500 to 1000 carvings per year to get by? Whew that's crazy you'll need allot of referrels...! Hey i remember that trailer, it was nice i think somebody got a good deal.

Respond to this message   
lonnie
(no login)

May 6 2017, 10:52 AM 

joe $50-$100 grand is getting by? your still as funny as you have always been.

Respond to this message   
joe again
(no login)

May 6 2017, 1:07 PM 

Lonnie i'm referring to Dougs lifestyle, not mine!

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

love the bears

May 6 2017, 11:16 AM 

Bears are the shortest distance between raw wood and money, lovem,hatem, but if one makes enough of them then one can afford to be an artist, if that's the goal at least.

Bear snobs disdain the lowly bear and gnash their teeth and pull their hair out in anguish when they create a wonderful piece of art and the guy/gal next to them at the show is selling the shit out of cute little bears!

It would be my thought that I have made at least 300 bears a year for thirty years, more then likely twice that.

Discipline is key, make your Quota despite your attitude toward them and then pay your bills , then go be an artist.

This is that tine line between Chainsaw carvers and Artists, if you make bears is it art? do they have to be realistic to be qualified? can they just be slapped out and still be beautiful to the person that buys them, methinks yes.

Where would we be if bears had not been popular?

Easy to do, easy to sell, anyone can make their version, they always sell.

The same amount of work can go into getting wood, the labor involved is the same, the costs associated are the same { even "free wood" can cost a couple hundred bucks to go get} then make really Arty stuff that sits around.

This formula is not the same for everyone but would hold true to the majority is my guess.

If you have kids it is harder to be an "Artist" when the bills are due!

Indy do you actually need to carve for financial reasons or is it just a fun gig and you get to hang out with really cool people?

Griffin Ramsey the Texas Angie has a real nice little video series {facebook} on chaptaculer where she is searching for the meaning of bears, I have not met her yet but like the way she is presenting it, she even got a crusty carver named Rod Blair to be her sidekick and bag carrier.

Joe sounds like you are behind, "bear behind" it seems

Steve Backus

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   
Indy
(Login D.R.)

Re: love the bears

May 6 2017, 7:37 PM 

HeHe if your only making between 500 and a 1000 carvings a year your not carving to live from it. Hell when I did a show with that big trailer I'd have 200-300 carvings for each show. from 50$ bears to 1500$ benches. hell even when I showed up to a comp on my cycle I had all my gear, etc. and 30-40 carvings with me to sale. I guess for me I have never looked for anyone's acceptance of me being called a artist. I know I am. I look at it as making good at what I have fun doing.

No Steve I didn't have to carve to survive. I Had a real job all my life pounding spikes and laying rail. Came from running away and living in a tent when I was a kid after folks split up, to what I have now. All due to working my ass off and knowing how to save. You are right. Its been a hell of a fun gig and have meet some really cool and life long friends. Present company included.
I'll never stop totally but am done betting myself up for the all might buck.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild