Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

sad news

July 5 2017 at 4:32 PM
joe king  (no login)

Lost another old carving friend Denny Richardson. I knew Denny way before carving from another life, he was a bit different kind of walked his own beat (sound familiar?) very private kind of guy but a good guy for sure, he had "Denny's Woods" and was best friends with Stan Mills before he passed away also..... i was shocked and just found out today. That's all i know, except his wife Carol passed a few years back from cancer and i always felt like he was struggling to get back on trac since then

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
dennis
(no login)

that is sad news joe

July 6 2017, 2:59 AM 

I remember Denny from my first visit we bonded and he was like you said a very private man.

ddd

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

tell us a story joe

July 6 2017, 4:47 PM 

Sorry to hear about your friend Joe, don't recall if I met him, when did he start carving Joe did he and Stan mills start and carve together.

It is my thought that them fellas were the pioneers in their area, how many on here were influenced by the early carvers long before you could get on this electric box and find out anything.

Tell us a story Fundog I know you can do it

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   
joe again
(no login)

Re: tell us a story joe

July 7 2017, 9:06 AM 

Hey el' Stevebo!
and so, Stan was his mentor. Don't get me wrong Denny was a good carver but he was no Stan Mills. Stan carved at Denny's shop a good bit and he told me a story about that one time; I guess Stan didn't manage his money very well and was always kind of broke (as i understood) One time he had a really nice Indian and a guy drove out from Pittsburgh to see it, fell in love and said "i'll take it". (it was around 4 grand) He said Stan got all weird and told him he couldn't have this one but wait- he could make another one exactly like it, to which the guy replied "No- i'm not driving back out here, i want this one and i have cash". Denny pulled him aside and said waddya doing, you need the money, but he still said no he kind of liked this one. I guess the guy tried again to convince him to sell it but Stan held fast and next thing you know he was driving away!

However, as i understand it his family still has this Indian around which isn't such a bad ending eh? But i don't think i would have walked away from 4k cash..! I have a quick carve from him and will make a photo, he did really nice native faces...

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

more please

July 7 2017, 9:41 AM 

where were they located?

When we did tupper lake in 1994 I recall seeing a real nice Indians carving in upstate New York somewhere between tupper lake and hals place, hal was not impressed because the Indian carving was holding an Uzi machine gun, I thought was cool.

Stan mills seems to ring a bell.

Denny seems to be part of the east coast history, when did you meet him as a Chainsaw Carver after your other life?

fill us in little buddy, we wont know if no one tells us.

Respond to this message   
joe again
(no login)

Re: more please

July 8 2017, 4:55 PM 

Well, i was hoping somebody else would chip in here and where the hell is your Mr Schieffer when you need him? Denny was a late comer (which simply means sometime after me)) but Stan, to the best of my knowledge may have been the first in PA, here's a link;

http://chainsawcarvinghistory.com/chainsaw_carving_history/

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

you are doing good joe

July 8 2017, 10:47 PM 

When did Stan start?

Where did he carve?

keep going Joe, I think Jerry is taking a nap this summer......

Respond to this message   
Doug
(Login D.R.)

Re: you are doing good joe

July 24 2017, 8:05 PM 

Sorry to hear. I think I met Denny at Ridgway one year. Seemed to be a nice guy. Again so sorry for his families loose.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild