Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

ear me out

July 28 2017 at 8:13 AM
joe king  (no login)

I posted some eye care tips awhile back-

(http://www.network54.com/Forum/118564/message/1462815662 )

So ears another one!
I know that we all wear ear protection but it's not all the same. Like everything else, some units are better quality than others. Some have noise cancellation, some have built in radio & i-pod jack, and some are 10 bucks off the shelf at the saw shop.

Here's the thing, work related hearing loss is most prevalent in shop & factory settings where there is a constant, steady, un-changing in decibels background noise, this is what does the most damage. (with of course the exception of military combat) Some people think that loud rock music is bad, for example, but i can say for sure, and from personal experience that it isn't. I played in and mixed for loud bands when i was younger, and have listened to a loud i-pod ever since with no apparent damage. Again it is a steady background drone sound that kills your inner ear.

The chainsaw varies in noise level somewhat, but we're actually running it at the same RPM's for extended periods of time, so this is a high risk for damage tool. Cheap headphones are better than nothing, but i suggest to do yourself a favor and move up to a better unit before it's too late. Hearing loss creeps up on you and in most cases the damage irreversible.

So, around 3 years ago my i-tunes program bit the dust and i started using a cheaper set of headphones laying around in the shop. Sometimes after running the lawn tractor i would notice a ringing in my ears (classic tell tale symptom) and after careful consideration i've come to realize i have noticeable hearing loss just from 3 years, more than all the rest of my life put together. I'm totally convinced now that background music is a great noise cancellation because it's constantly changing the decibel levels. Here's a new set i've been trying, so far i like them allot they fit nice & snug, half decent sound quality, around $50 on Amazon.
Just sayin......

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/817U%2BmnelcL._SL1500_.jpg

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Joe B
(Login jbusch)

thanks

July 28 2017, 4:49 PM 

I just ordered a pair... Always wanted one with the radio built in and don't know why I have not looked earlier. So you saved me the work! Thanks Joe

Respond to this message   
danh
(no login)

Re: thanks

August 1 2017, 12:49 PM 

I've got a pair of the 3m muffs with bluetooth, they're pretty awesome, though it seems like not quite enough protection sometimes with a big saw, I've been doubleing up and either using earbuds or plugs underneath when blocking out.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/931273-3m-worktunes-wireless-hearing-protector-with-bluetooth.html?feedsource=3&gclid=CjwKCAjwzYDMBRA1EiwAwCv6Jle0ZV74CM3IhjbXRsDcfB6Duktzg0kexvzIQq4vlOHxoMQHND13BhoCBCgQAvD_BwE

Respond to this message   
Indy
(Login D.R.)

Speak louder please

August 2 2017, 8:06 PM 

LOL The ringing could have been from all the years of not protecting your ears and its finely catching up with you.

Respond to this message   
joe again
(no login)

eh?

August 3 2017, 5:02 PM 

Could be right about that Doug, i'm like allot of guys that hit a certain age and start wishing i'd taken a bit better care of myself....... no actually come to think of it i wouldn't change a thing!

Respond to this message   
Indy
(Login D.R.)

Re: eh?

August 3 2017, 10:03 PM 

Same here Joe. I did a lot of things not so proud of now. But sure wouldn't change a thing. Life would have been pretty darn dull if I had been any more perfect then I am LOL.

Respond to this message   
Brian Harnett
(Login Brianharnett)

Re: eh?

August 9 2017, 9:50 PM 

I wear a similar headset I think its peltor brand I also wear earplugs with it I have ringing but that was from a blast when I was in my 20s in the army I went deaf for several minutes not a fun time.

I put in ear plugs using any power tools or vacuum cleaner. Hearing has not degraded since. When I worked construction the guys used to make fun of the earplugs, I bet a bunch have hearing aids now.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild