Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

gloves for carving?

November 18 2017 at 4:42 PM
danh  (no login)

I've heard some horror stories of people getting gloved hands sucked up by a grinder or rotary tool. It seems that running a grinder outside in the winter is the time when gloves are needed the most because of the airflow on the hands from the unit. Sounds like neoprene gloves would be the best, though I wonder if there are other good options.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
ROOSTER
(Login jay.kay)

Safety First

November 19 2017, 7:02 AM 

The gloves are not the problem, they are the protection.

I remove the plastic that"locks" the grinder on so that if it catches something letting go will turn it off.
I have been switching over to paddle switch grinders with a safety "lock off".

I also convert all my grinders to "top handle"

Russ

Respond to this message   
Rick#13
(no login)

Re: Safety First

November 20 2017, 7:34 PM 

In the oil field we wore the cheap fuzzy yellow cloth ones for that same reason

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

neoprene

November 21 2017, 3:54 PM 

them seem to work well even when wet which is more the trouble in the northwest.

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   
danh
(no login)

Re: gloves for carving?

November 21 2017, 5:28 PM 

Thanks for your input guys. I'm trying to prepare for winter's cold snaps so they don't slow me down. I carve north of Bellingham where the weather is mostly mild but can get colder than a witches teat when the Northeast winds howl out of the Fraser valley on some winter days. Those horror story/accidents I've heard about glove fibers getting caught and insta wrapped around a grinder spindle sound like enough to end a person's carving days. I don't know if it's true or a myth but I'm not taking any chances.

Respond to this message   
joe
(Login jbusch)

gloves

November 29 2017, 12:01 PM 

I have always used deer skin/leather gloves. They fit tight to my hands. I had the grinder catch my t-shirt one day and that was entertaining. Left a little rub on my tummy.. I have not seen or heard of gloves catching in the grinder and hope I never do. Is there a down fall to using leather gloves?

Respond to this message   
danh
(no login)

Re: gloves

November 29 2017, 3:29 PM 

Leather gloves sound like a good way to go to me. I've read comments in threads like the one I linked below that make me wonder.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/11880/which-tools-should-not-be-operated-while-wearing-gloves

Sounds like there are some people who don't wear any gloves around rotary tools for fear of them getting snagged.

Respond to this message   
danh
(no login)

Re: gloves

November 29 2017, 4:07 PM 

I had been carving with gloves during a cold snap a few weeks ago, then I overheard a couple guys talking at a coffee shop one morning. One guy was telling a story about his glove and finger getting caught in a grinder at work. It made me remember that I had heard about those kind of accidents before, and I had been mindful about not wearing gloves around those kind of tools in the past.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild