Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Say, WTF is going on with Ridgway anyway?

December 9 2017 at 2:23 AM

Hats  (Login wearsmanyhats)

Inquiring minds want to know. Sounds like it is turning into an invitational event?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken P
(no login)

Art Show

December 14 2017, 11:11 AM 

It seems it will now be a 3 day art show where carvers pay Liz to set up and sell. Minimal carving demos and some prizes for nice carvings. Too far for most out of state carvers and
I doubt any Internationa will come, what would be the point?
As far as the organizer, sounds like a win-win. No logs needed, no cleanup, no stress about the auction, no seminars to set up. For local carvers could be a good sales event if they have inventory.
Good luck everyone!

Respond to this message   
TYNAN
(no login)

Re: Art Show

December 14 2017, 7:43 PM 

I can almost smell the melting plastic, as smoke billows from the frantic typing of Backus's keyboard. Commence....

Respond to this message   
Ken P
(no login)

December 14 2017, 7:54 PM 

Not hating on the decision to change the format. Only the Bonis know what it was like to put that event on. This makes sense for many and is still great exposure for our Art.

Respond to this message   
joe king
(no login)

December 18 2017, 9:27 AM 

I can't imagine the stress it takes to organize something like this. With people coming from all over the country (and planet) finding a place for them all and that's probably the easy part. The local politics surrounding the event are no doubt a story all their own, and rising above all the competing hands for attention must be a tremendous balancing act. Add to that a couple hundred different personalities all mixed together in one little place for a week...... And mind you this is not a bunch of Boy Scouts, maybe a few but a good handful of trouble makers as well, and all the quirky little personalities in-between. Liz and the Boni's have somehow kept it all together as it evolved over the years and I personally will forever be indebted to them for all the fun and friends i've made here. And beyond that, each year we'd come home (takes a few days to get your eyes open)) i wasn't actually able to put my finger on one little thing i learned there, but always with a deep feeling of renewed inspiration and confidence in myself. Hard to find the right words....

My guess is that whatever is changing now is a way to scale it back a bit and still continue. I think that's great whatever they decide, they've already created a legend and how do you top that? happy.gif

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

Why Thank You Ken

December 17 2017, 2:26 PM 

It is always a pleasure to have a debate with you, though I am doubtful you can hold your own? But we here at the "Sensitive Chainsaw carvers institute" are willing to patiently listen to any thoughts or ideas you may contribute.

Beings as you are a "sometime promoter" and and all around selfless fellow with a deep and abiding respect for all of humanity!? We will be patient with your replies as you struggle to find big enough words to articulate you point of view, commencing to commence.

Ridgway has always been evolving and there is not a carver from the Midwest to Germany who should not lay down a "Wreath of thankfulness" at the feet of the Boni's and most of the Ridgway community.

When it was a budding event it was attempting to help some that had met with misfortune and did so many times, as with most things that evolve the logistics became more complex and since it was open to all who could care to attend they stampeded in, it became a job, a job for many as the years progressed, a year round job for few.

Ridgway was a crossroads for many chainsaw carvers, from the wide eyed rookie, to a few Kings, a mythical place where if a chainsaw carver could go to it they would gain knowledge, build relationships and develop friendships,. I ask you MR. Tynan what common event/experience would you have in common with most of your chainsaw carving acquaintances and the few Friends you have managed to keep, I will bet that Ridgway would be the common denominator?

The plastic is not melting Ken and the typing is less then frantic, any event that is open to all and has all the different personality's attached to the art world and the fickle nature of human beings in general brings us to the lack of appreciation demonstrated by the few, You know, like You!

The folks who think they got to where they are all by themselves, it would be fair to say that many carvers have launched their careers of the back of Ridgway, You know, like You.

Ridgway had a deal with the carvers over the years, provide a carving out of the log provided, to put the carving in the auction, pretty simple, often violated. The competitive nature of carvers would push many to carve as outstanding a carving as they could so they could crow and flap their wings if they got high money! they could have carved anything out of the wood that is "purchased" for the show and provided to each carver, many carvers with big egos coveting the largest for themselves, since there is no carver police on duty the integrity of the carvers was relied on, it did not always work, and while not the straw the broke the camels back it contributed to the accumulated pile of bullshit and petty deceptions that led to this current method of operations and while not every carver that carved a nice carving for the auction, sold it at the last minute, and then put a little bear in the auction, many did, Like You.

The overseas carvers have a variety of events to choose from over on the continent and the U.K.many helped and or started after a trip to Ridgway, from what I see the overseas carvers can go to chap fest? as I understand it all are welcome which is why carvers that cant go to to many other shows show up, Like You.

After being involved in big open events that have a pretty relaxed entry systems I grew familiar with mentality of folks that led mutiny's on ships, folks with a bitter repetitious negative attitude where everyone is trying fuck them around so they start pointing out perceived slights and what a victim they are to anyone that will listen, then they begin to justify their way of thinking until whoever they owe money to or back rent become the bad guy, you know, Like you.

The carvers that did the best from my observation were those folks who could drive there in a day or so with a big load of decent stuff, I doubt that will change, because the Educated customer base has to be a "two hundred mile radius around Ridgway? They have been educated as to what the stuff is worth and will buy what they like no matter what, simple purchase of a bit of real estate no carving to distract you from sales, enough little quick carves to keep the show wheel spinning on entertainment aspect, no big egos to spoon feed and stroke their hair, You Know, Like You.

I highly recommend to anyone who wants to take the vow of poverty and start and run a big show to please do so, Its easy to get get one going just get someone who has done it before manipulate them into helping, then dump them unceremoniously while disparaging their character to cover their tracks, You Know, Like You.

The pugs miss you.

Steve Backus........

and remember carve or starve...

Respond to this message   
Tynan
(no login)

Re: Why Thank You Ken

December 19 2017, 11:20 AM 

Triggered! Lol

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

{chuckle}

December 19 2017, 12:08 PM 

So nice to be able to have some interaction with you Ken, never did figure out what our dispute is about? please explain,it would qualify as entertainment! At any rate this forum is still a great place for discussions on research about contests and shows, there is a lot of room in the world for well done contests and shows.

By the way my well rounded contemporary,How is Butler coming along?

Respond to this message   

buzzsaw
(Login buzzsawz)

butler

December 21 2017, 6:11 PM 

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

Scared him off.

December 21 2017, 9:02 PM 

No surprise, how are things buzzsaw haven't seen you much since me and Doug defected to faceland, it was nice to hear from our Gollum who has been hiding in the shadows over here, he withdrew pretty fast when the adults showed up.

It is very difficult to be an organizer of a nice show, even if one gets their belly on a billboard they still gotta do the work not just take the credit, auctions that are less then forthcoming with the audience/customers can have an impact but I am sure everyone is getting along and no one is blameing anyone for anything?

Or I might have misheard..........

Respond to this message   
Mark
(Login Massasauga)

Re: Say, WTF is going on with Ridgway anyway?

December 22 2017, 5:59 PM 

I'm from out of state and I want to attend, never been to one. I would like to bring some carvings. Have no idea what these events are like. I'm from a suburb of Toronto, will it be worth the drive????
Thank you

Respond to this message   

steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

Maybe

December 23 2017, 10:57 AM 

If you have stuff to sell it would be best, unsure what can taken cross border? and there is an upfront fee now, there is the art angle as well with some money going that way but its nothing to depend on.

On the other hand if your goal is to enter this game at a higher level and begin the networking that is a big part of any industry Ridgway would still be a very important place to land and start shaking hands and kissing baby's, meeting carvers and making Friends, and maybe a few not so much? at any rate the new structure of the Ridgway Experience is designed to keep fat bully's closer to Pittsburgh.

Good luck whichever way you jump................

Respond to this message   
Tynan
(no login)

Re: Maybe

December 24 2017, 1:05 PM 

Notice the one that starts the name calling is the one calling others a bully.I didn't think someone of your physical stature would be so intimidated by anyone. That's why we call you the cunting rouge.

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

Merry Christmas

December 24 2017, 5:07 PM 

Did not mention a name? and there would have to be at least one pudgy bully in the geographic area surrounding Pittsburgh? And intimidate would be the least of it, all bully's are not fat , but some are, its not all about you Ken, less and less so as time moves relentlessly on.

I notice you said We? never assume that just because someone is agreeing with you when you are ripping someone apart that they really agree with you, its just easy to agree and be twofaced later, happens all the time.

Where did we go wrong?

I have always had the long view in this carving game and folks not unlike yourself remind me of a saying in our big family.

They come and They Go...................

Respond to this message   
Tynan
(no login)

Re: Merry Christmas

December 25 2017, 6:31 PM 

Nothing makes me happier than knowing I still haunt you dreams.

Respond to this message   

Steve backus
(Login flashbackus)

chuckle

December 25 2017, 11:14 PM 

kinda like the big Santa creature in the nightmare before Christmas that comes unraveled, merry Christmas my bulging butler buttercup.............

Respond to this message   
Nasby
(no login)

Re: chuckle

January 16 2018, 2:11 AM 

Steve Backus those Silver Fingertips continue to put a smile on me Ol Mug they do. A Feller that writes the way you do should put a book or two on the market to be sure. The Tynan feller so insecure to tell the "Tall Tales" on his peers and to be so intimidated by the challenge of a Rookie, makes a Feller think, "does he think so small of him self" because of a hidden shame? If so, it's such a pity, when we know he just wants to be liked. So hard for many to be the social lites we would love to be. A shame we can't take a pity for him as we'd like, due the risk of rewarding the dispicable fibs and such. With those aside we could wish health, happiness and prosperity to our fellow Man. It would only help if they'd act like one. 😶
On the subject of this thread, hats off to the Boni's for running a class act for so long. I have took a cool vid the yr Skip was there, I hope to get loaded soon. It was a sunny day, with several small interviews. Even Tynans in it. He fell down doing a comedy, maybe he'll get "discovered" with it.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild