Welcome to the Carvingpost Forum
An internet community dedicated to the art of chainsaw carving & friends

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  

Want to start carving, need advice

January 24 2018 at 8:41 PM
Braedan  (Login Braedan13433)

Hello everyone,
I have a ms250c- 16” and a ms441- 24”&28”. Carving has intrested me as long as i can remember and now i am ready to either buy another small saw or a bar for the 250 to carve with. I found a good deal on a new ms150c-e and am thinking if buying it. Will i need another saw other than my 250?
Any thoughts on the ms150c-e?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
joe
(Login jbusch)

saws

January 25 2018, 12:29 PM 

You will want a small saw for sure. Check with Tom at C&D on the site here. He can give you cost on a sprocket bar and chain. You will want to get a smaller bar than what they sell off the shelf with the saw.

If your getting a smoking deal on that 150 it may be fine but I have never used one. If you just trying this you can always go with the MS170. 180.00 brand new. The sprocket, dime tip bar and a couple chains should land you around 300.00 and is all brand new.

I use the 170 a lot and beat the crap out of them. I think they work just fine for a back yard carver.

The 441 is good for blocking your carvings out. The 250 would work great for this as well and be a little less weight. But for fine detail you will need these smaller custom parts.

Respond to this message   
joe
(Login jbusch)

Re: saws

January 25 2018, 12:31 PM 

Tom is T&D Carving supply... Sorry I miss typed it.

Stihl will be able to order these parts also if you want a Stihl bar and chain. That is what I run right now but looking into some other bars in the near future. 10 inch dime tip is a great starter. you can pick 50 or 43 gauge. The 50 take the beating a little better on hardwoods but the 43 gauge is much better with very small detail work.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >><< Back  
This forum brought to you by the United Chainsaw Carvers Guild